monster dumbell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monster dumbell

Hi, really struggling to find a way to make these rounded dumbells, are they casted? I know the more crude ones are made from pipe. And if they are casted iron, would a regular iron mongers be able to make them. Does anyone know whats involved? Big money? I'm in Ireland.

bells

Just a few pics of what I'm on about
    Attached Files

Comment

Cast iron would be the cheapest way but you would need patterns or a buddy in a foundry. The round ones could be lathe turned from barstock but that wouldn't be real cheap. I have a ballturner that will do a 6" steel ball but i have never turned over 3". You could use small tank dome ends and get them pretty round by welding 2 end to end on each end with a bar between them but you would have to fill them with someting heavy to suit...Bob
      Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

i like the first pic, thats from the big boys gym, are you guys into power liffting

Comment

The third and fifth pictures look like weld caps back to back. Might be filled with lead and then welded. Waiting to hear about the others.

Comment

Some in your pictures are fabricated and some are cast. It depends on how many you need/want/can sell. If you only need only a few it is likely easier and cheaper to buy them. Over here there is a lot if that sort of thing available from the far east quite cheap. There are also some that have replaceable weights on a short bar. Some are hexagonal so they don't roll and could be cut from steel plate. If you are set on making your own I guess it depends on how well you are equipped, that is what tools are available to you? Lead will give you more weight/volume and is realatively easy to cast/weld and machine but the use of it is frowned upon on your side of the pond if I'm not mistaken. I don't know what the capabilities of your local iron monger are but cast iron is going to require a foundry as Bob said. You could also consider reinforced concrete on a bar with rebar welded to the bar. As long as you don't drop them on a hard surface they will give you weight and you can cast them in a reusable wooden form in whatever shape you like.
            Meltedmetal

Comment

If you could find used kids bowling balls cheap, they come in different weights. Thread the ball, insert a stud, weld end plates on the end of a pipe handle and tap the end plates for the stud.

Comment

Here's one I made before with 12 inch pipe, 56kg empty, I ran the 2 inch bar/handle all the way through so I could add weights either end. I just really liked the look of the rounded (Thomas inch) style ones, real old school. Thanks all for the great input. I'll try and find a heavy duty foundry. It's just something I want to get done. The help on the forum has been very helpful, thanks again.
                Attached Files

Comment

Add Content

Comment

monster dumbell

That's not me in that pic btw, I'm more handsome than that

Comment

Originally posted by Bossman2000 View Post
                      That's not me in that pic btw, I'm more handsome than that
                      That's a good lookin piece of 12'' if you ask me.

Comment

monster dumbell

Not bad! I'll take another pic from the side to let you see the inside tomorrow.

Comment

Makes you look a lot stronger when somebody sees you lifting a big dumbell like this

Comment

Working...
                          X