Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strong Hand Tools - Absolutey No Customer Service!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strong Hand Tools - Absolutey No Customer Service!!

I purchased a Nomad portable welding table from Strong Hand Tools about a year ago. For the past 6 weeks or so, I have been having trouble with the table top warping when I weld on it. I am not a professional welder, just a hobbyist. Most of my welding consists of small projects around the house/garage and welding practice. I decided to contact them to see what they would do about my problem. I emailed them a week ago. I sent another email on Monday. On Tuesday, I called them on the phone and spoke with someone named Jeff, who said that in the thousands of tables that they've sold, he NEVER heard of the table warping before. He said that he would pass my contact info on to management and that someone would get back to me. At noon today, I still had not heard back from anyone so I decided to try to contact them via email one more time before I started this thread, but I see now that that was a waste of time.

The Strong Hand Tools Nomad Portable Welding Table is basically a piece of junk. I guess they must be doing so well that they don't feel that they need any customer service. I hope this makes people think twice about purchasing anything from Strong Hand Tools.

• HomerJSapien
    replied
    Things usually happen in increments. In the beginning when I was teaching myself to weld, I couldn't afford to spend that much on a table, not knowing if I would like it or get frustrated and quit. My first welder was a Craftsman 140a, which I took back about 2 weeks later (I was getting frustrated trying to weld thin sheet metal with it). I bought the Hobart Handler 140, which I really liked. When I saw how much I liked welding, I wanted a dual voltage machine and decided to shell out the money and go all the way up to Miller. Now, I think maybe it's time to upgrade to the ArcForce. I just need to see one in person before I decide.

Leave a comment:

• milkerman
    replied
    Why didn't you buy the miller fx-30 welding table you spent top dollar to buy the multimatic 200 and not spend another 300 for a table that will last a lifetime i own 3 of them. I mount a baileigh tn-250 notcher and a vise on them very portable no wrapping of the top when i am welding

Leave a comment:

• HomerJSapien
    replied
    I noticed that. They are still available at places like Cyberweld. Yes, their other tables are impressive. I do see that they've come out with a new model. You can get it with a frame or just the tabletop https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEneL8czpDs. Couldn't find a price on it anywhere. I have to look a little more. The website call it "affordable" so we'll have to see...

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    They must have quit making them as they aren't on the website.
    http://www.stronghandtools.com/
    Their other welding tables are pretty impressive...Bob

Leave a comment:

• Wheat
    replied
    I've got the same table. It has it's limitations but will do 95% of my jobs. This table folds up nice because space is limited here. I got in on sale at Northern Tools. It came with a nice clamp and some ok magnets. People get confused with the term "welding table" expecting a strong, beefy table. That it's not.
    Last edited by Wheat; 03-24-2013, 09:08 AM. Reason: misspelled

Leave a comment:

• HomerJSapien
    replied
    Strong Hand Tools come through with excellent Customer Service!

Originally posted by jfk92 View Post
    Hey - as I have the same table and somehow - have the 2nd table in the history of that table to warp when used - would be interested if you don't mind in seeing you're final product and results - I might do the same thing to stiffen mine up......errrrrrrr - so to speak! Perhaps you can PM me a picture or something after you've done it if you don't mind....thx.
    I would be happy to do that. I'll try to get to the local Tractor Supply this weekend. If not, then early next week...

Leave a comment:

• HomerJSapien
    replied
    Originally posted by MMW View Post
    Maybe you should change the title of the thread? It seems to me that with in two weeks you had a new top without having to send the old one in. That seems like pretty good customer service to me.

Hope it works out for you.
    You're right. I'll check on how to accomplish that. Thanks...

Leave a comment:

• MMW
    replied
    Maybe you should change the title of the thread? It seems to me that with in two weeks you had a new top without having to send the old one in. That seems like pretty good customer service to me.

Hope it works out for you.

Leave a comment:

• jfk92
    replied
    Hey - as I have the same table and somehow - have the 2nd table in the history of that table to warp when used - would be interested if you don't mind in seeing you're final product and results - I might do the same thing to stiffen mine up......errrrrrrr - so to speak! Perhaps you can PM me a picture or something after you've done it if you don't mind....thx.

Leave a comment:

• HomerJSapien
    replied
    The tops are the same 14g. Looks like nothing's been changed. They claim that they have not had this problem with any other customers...that my tabletop is the first to warp.

What you suggest is very similar to what I had in mind. That sounds like it should work just fine. I was going to just get a 1/4" plate to mount to the top but I think I'll try the supports first. That way, I'll be able to still use the slots for clamping.

I really do like the portability and design of the table, although I still want to see Miller's version up close. I don't think that the supports would add too much weight to the table. It should still be "portable". It's pretty lightweight now so a few extra pounds shouldn't hurt. Much lighter than a 1/4" tabletop for sure.

I appreciate the comments and suggestions. Thanks...

Leave a comment:

• jfk92
    replied
    Originally posted by HomerJSapien View Post
    Update on Strong Hand Tools customer service. They sent me a replacement Nomad table top .......................
    Hey - that's pretty impressive/interesting. but is the table top the 'same' structurally as the other?

I've been thinking about this a bit - perhaps - since you have a 'set' now - if you take the "old" top and once off - weld up some flat stock on the bottom of it - like an 1/8" thick, 1/2" wide piece of flat with the 'short edge' against the bottom of the table it'd stiffen it up quite a bit for you. Will add some weight to it but....would be a nice alternative and/or second table top to the frame you'll be welding up for it using the replacement!

Leave a comment:

• HomerJSapien
    replied
    Update on Strong Hand Tools customer service. They sent me a replacement Nomad table top which arrived today. I'm not sure if this post had any play in that, but the bottom line is that once I was finally able to contact them, they took care of the problem rather quickly. I appreciate their efforts and will gladly purchase from them in the future.

Leave a comment:

• jfk92
    replied
    Originally posted by HomerJSapien View Post
    The part that really baffles me is that it is called a "welding table", but I guess you can't really do much "welding" on it.
    I have this table. It is good for little things. Mine warps too and I expected that given the thickness of the table top...was surprised you were surprised about this as well...give you've surely warped thicker stock welding it already. It is what it is...basically a portable, fully adjustable table that is conductive, fire resistant and light duty...for light duty work. I like mine despite the sweet shape shifting it does while using it. as somwone mentioned...if you have the space....it is a tremendous opportunity to build a true welding table with a thick top side....with drilled slots to clamp thru yadda yadda yadda....far as cust service goes.....unless the co is built with it in their culture its simply a low paying, high turnover job filled with dbags that are angry and rude......which is ironic to the position title itself! Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• HomerJSapien
    replied
    The part that really baffles me is that it is called a "welding table", but I guess you can't really do much "welding" on it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X