Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine driven welder

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine driven welder

Goodmorning, Long story short I just got married last November and moved into a old farm house that my wife already owned. It only has 100 amp service snd while I do have room in the breaker box it would be a long run to get 220v out to my shed. I weighed the fact that we may not be staying in this house forever and the price of the electrical components, I decided a engine welder would best suit my needs.

Basically I'm just looking for some opinions on wich one to get. My budget would be right around 2500 and I would be using it to run my mm211 and hypertherm 30 as well as 7018 rod for heavy stuff. I also like the portability of them too. Miller and maybe Lincoln would be my only choices. Thank you

$2500 is nothing welder wise. Best to look at a generator.

Comment

You can get a pretty decent used welder for 2500 easy.

Comment

Is this near you ?? http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/tld/3649283647.html

Welder, Miller Bobcat - $2875 (Lancaster)
        Product Description: Miller Electric Mfg Co 907209 225 Welder/Generator With 23HP Kohler Engine And Standard Receptacles, 10000 Watts Peak, 225 Amp MLR1177.Brand new in box. Never started. Model # 907209
        it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
        Posting ID: 3649283647 Posted: 2013-02-28, 10:48AM EST email to a friend
        Avoid scams, deal locally! Do NOT wire funds (Western Union, Moneygram). Beware cashier checks, money orders, shipping, non-local buyers/sellers. More info

Comment

Used would be my suggestion,
          but if you want new, a miller wildcat is only a little over your budget.
          it only has 6500 watts peak of generating power, so it may not run you pm30 or mm211 at full power.

I recently saw a 3 year old bobcat 225 with less than 400 hours on Craigslist for $1900, but your location my demand more, idk.

Comment

You need clean power to run your welding equipment. I would be hesitant buying an older welder/generator.

Comment

Originally posted by tackit View Post
              You need clean power to run your welding equipment. I would be hesitant buying an older welder/generator.
              Here's answer from MILLER on a previous thread by someone.
              In an older post I was asking about using gen power/ THD with the 211. Thought I would share what Miller said about it.

" The Millermatic 211 is pretty forgiving when it comes to input power. As long as you have a generator that is providing roughly 60Hz power and at least 7,000 watts continuous 230 volt power the unit will be fine."

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...=211+generator

Comment

Lincoln and miller are both good, But I would look for at least 8,000 cont. power, If you wait long enouph you can find a Bobcat or Trail blazer that kicks out 10,000 surge and 9,500 cont.

But watch out because theres a difference between surge and continuouse, You need to concentrate on cont.

Comment

Thanks for your input fellas. I have been been keeping my eye out on Craig's list and there have been a few trailblazers and bobcats that were in my price range. Im just not sure what I'm looking for buying used. My neighbor works on small engines and generators so I'm sure he could fix or rebuild any of them if need be. Thanks again

Comment

I did find a older 250G but it doesn't look like it hase a 220 output on it

Comment

I had the power company run a new 200 amp underground service with it's own meter to my shop which is about 150 ft away from the house. They installed a bigger transformer on the pole, did all the work up to the meter, I had to provide them a three inch tile for going under the driveway. It's a safe clean instillation, I would do it again. I would imagine if you consider the price of diesel fuel against the shop's electric bill and the convience of flipping a switch a $30 a month electric bill isn't so bad.
                      Last edited by tackit; 03-16-2013, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tackit View Post
                        I had the power company run a new 200 amp underground service with it's own meter to my shop which is about 150 ft away from the house. They installed a bigger transformer on the pole, did all the work up to the meter, I had to provide them a three inch tile for going under the driveway. It's a safe clean instillation, I would do it again. I would imagine if you consider the price of diesel fuel against the shop's electric bill and the convience of flipping a switch a $30 a month electric bill isn't so bad.
                        How much did the install cost?
                        Did you have to sign a contract?

Comment

Originally posted by Amc724 View Post
                          How much did the install cost?
                          Did you have to sign a contract?
                          Amc it was done about 10 years ago... something tells me it was around $200 for the install because the shop was within 75' of the transformer pole. The contract thing I honestly don't remember.

Comment

My problem is my house sits about a quarter of a mile off the road were the service goes into the ground. We don't plan on staying so I just figured I would waist the money upgrading the electric.

Comment

Originally posted by Firemn260 View Post
                              My problem is my house sits about a quarter of a mile off the road were the service goes into the ground. We don't plan on staying so I just figured I would waist the money upgrading the electric.
                              How long do you plan on staying?

How much to run a circuit to the shed?

How often do you weld?

Running a generator uses up gas=$$

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.