Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

plasma cutter

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plasma cutter

Just seeking opinions on what size plasma I should get....primarily do repair and maintenance ....I'm leaning towards the Hyperthurm Powermax30...thanks for your opinions in advance

You really are too sparing in your description of your needs for a plasma cutter. Saying you'll be doing primarily repairs and maintenance can mean you work on repairing and maintaining RC car bodies or heavy earthmoving equipment. I'm happy with my Hypertherm. It seems to be a good machine. If the Powermax 30 fits your needs I would say go for it.

Comment

Well, if you think you will not need to ever cut above 1/2 inch and may need to use 110v and 220v power, then I would say that the P-Max 30 is the machine. But, if you will need to cut more than 1/2 inch and you will never need 110v power, then I would say get the P-Max 45.

As another thought. If you ever do work with stainless or aluminum, you will want the extra power, trust me.

Comment

Go for the 45. Buy it once and have the power when needed.
        The 110/220 voltage is a nice feature. I did hear rumors that the future 45 maybe going to 110/220. That would really make the 45 sweeter.

Comment

The thickness you need to cut is essential to know; 1. What thickness of materials do you cut 80% of the time, 2. What is the max thickness you need to cut (edge start ok) and what thickness to pierce. 3. What type of power is available (single or three phase, what voltage, what amperage). There are many makes and models and power levels available.

Jim

Originally posted by kerr74 View Post
          Just seeking opinions on what size plasma I should get....primarily do repair and maintenance ....I'm leaning towards the Hyperthurm Powermax30...thanks for your opinions in advance

Comment

Originally posted by BD1 View Post
            Go for the 45. Buy it once and have the power when needed.
            The 110/220 voltage is a nice feature. I did hear rumors that the future 45 maybe going to 110/220. That would really make the 45 sweeter.
            I agree. You may need more power at some point. The 45 is really not that much more.

Comment

Plasma

I looked at both the 30 and the 45. I compared the cost and considered a few other factors. I ended up with the 45. Since I have gotten the toy (yes I am a hobbyist) I have not moved, attached hoses to or even look at a cutting torch. If you are doing lots of repairs go for the largest machine you to afford.

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.