Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tig welding 5052 Aluminum. which filler ?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tig welding 5052 Aluminum. which filler ?

guys,
    we have a small project at work we will be tig welding which is made from .125" thick sheet metal, the alloy is 5052 aluminum.
    i searched the internet and see its safe to use 4043 or 5356 filler, which we already have in the shop.
    do you guys agree with this ?
    and is there anything special i should look out for when welding this type of aluminum ?
    thanks for any input, since i have never welded 5052 before.

Either filler is good unless you are anodising it then go for 5356.
    4043 will be more ductile and less likely to crack but on the other hand 5356 is a stronger material but tends to crack if you don't cap the weld properly.

Comment

5052 is also used a lot in marine applications. if it was going to be exposed to the elements i would use 5356. But as stated before either will work.

Comment

thanks for the help guys.
        since it wont be getting anodized, i will go with the 4043 to stay away from the cracking...
        again, thanks much

Comment

It would help to know what the project is. If it is something that is going to experience high temperatures, 4043 would probably be better. If it is something that needs maximum strength, 5356 would probably be better.

Comment

Originally posted by IanHerbert View Post
            Either filler is good unless you are anodising it then go for 5356.
            4043 will be more ductile and less likely to crack but on the other hand 5356 is a stronger material but tends to crack if you don't cap the weld properly.
            5356 is actually more ductile, whereas 4043 may be a little softer, but will fatigue much faster than 5356 or 5183. I would never use 4043 on a seam that experiences vibration or variable loads.

If you are welding 5052 sheet into a tank, you are much better of with the stronger filler. Personally I choose 5356 every time unless elevated service temps are experienced.

Lately I have been using Maxal's 4943. Lightning fast for tig work, and bridges the gap in the strength area. Wets like no tomorrow.
            Last edited by shovelon; 03-15-2013, 10:52 PM.

Comment

So there are some people using 4943. Shovelon have you been using it for just tig or mig also? Also what type of application? I've talked to my lws about bring some in for use on 6061-t4&6 plate for making race snowmobile engine mounts. From what I've talked to maxal it should be the cats a$$ after post weld tempering.

Comment

i hope to one day have the knowledge you guys have....
                thanks for all the input

Comment

I haven't seen the 4943 on the AlcoTec Filler Alloy Chart, what alloys is it most compatable with? Going to have to do some research on this filler.

Comment

Originally posted by Manisoba View Post
                    So there are some people using 4943. Shovelon have you been using it for just tig or mig also? Also what type of application? I've talked to my lws about bring some in for use on 6061-t4&6 plate for making race snowmobile engine mounts. From what I've talked to maxal it should be the cats a$$ after post weld tempering.
                    I have been using it with both mig and tig. I really like the tig rod. It flows like water and is fast. It is very strong too. I am hoping to phase out my 4043 tig rod soon. My LWS said they will stock it too.

As far as mig, it is watery in the flow characteristics, and lays a virtually smut free strong bead. The wire is shockingly brittle but drives nice in the 350p. I won't be switching from 5356 mig wire though as I have that down pat, smut and all.

Comment

Originally posted by ja baudin View Post
                      I haven't seen the 4943 on the AlcoTec Filler Alloy Chart, what alloys is it most compatable with? Going to have to do some research on this filler.
                      4943 is a Maxal product. You won't see it from anyone else. It is compatible with any alloy you would use 4043. Maxal's website has a lot of data for it's use.

http://www.marinelink.com/news/paten...ces350264.aspx
                      http://www.maxal.com/4943_datasheet.pdf

Comment

I prefer alloy 4043 filler metal as it is better aluminum filler alloy. It was used for general purpose welding applications but now it can show significant variability in strength based on welding conditions as well as level of base metal dilution.

Comment

Thanks Shovelon, Ja

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.