Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats a better stick welder CST 280 or XMT 304

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Whats a better stick welder CST 280 or XMT 304

    Title says it all. Which welder will shine over the other for 6010 and 7018 rods?

    Is the XMT 304 easy to convert to single phase 220V or is there a single phase and 3 phase model and neither can be used on the other?

  • #2
    Saw a nice XMT 304 posted for $1175, but it sold pretty quick.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/140931563603...84.m1423.l2649

    Comment


    • #3
      The shop bought the 304's when they first came out because of the auto link single / 3 phase feature. When the CST 280 hit the market they bought a couple to try them. We do mainly stick on pipe, 6010/7018.
      Nobody wants the 304, everybody wants the 280. The 304 is around 80 pounds and the 280 about 40.
      304 multi process and 280 stick and tig. I still vote for the 280 on stick again.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by BD1 View Post
        The shop bought the 304's when they first came out because of the auto link single / 3 phase feature. When the CST 280 hit the market they bought a couple to try them. We do mainly stick on pipe, 6010/7018.
        Nobody wants the 304, everybody wants the 280. The 304 is around 80 pounds and the 280 about 40.
        304 multi process and 280 stick and tig. I still vote for the 280 on stick again.
        BD1,
        Other than the weight is the arc better on the 280?

        I'm going to build a mobile cart with a 75ft 6/3 extension cord and already have 25ft leads, could always make them longer too. So weight isn't an issue, just always heard the inverters have the electronics to really make a nice stick arc with all the new dig adjustments available.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by clint738 View Post
          BD1,
          Other than the weight is the arc better on the 280?

          I'm going to build a mobile cart with a 75ft 6/3 extension cord and already have 25ft leads, could always make them longer too. So weight isn't an issue, just always heard the inverters have the electronics to really make a nice stick arc with all the new dig adjustments available.
          We have both and the 280 seems to have a softer touch and flows nicer, if you know what I'm trying to say. The 304's are the older models so the newer ones can be different. All I know is that the 280's are the first to go out. I used to keep it on my truck as long as possible before they needed it for another job. Rest of guys would do the same.
          Best bet would be to try each of them. Maybe there's a member in your area that could help you out that way.

          Comment


          • #6
            For a mobile point of view, sure the 280's would be better, but honestly for an arc perspective ,they use identical technology, so the arc in the 304 would be identical to the 280.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by cruizer View Post
              For a mobile point of view, sure the 280's would be better, but honestly for an arc perspective ,they use identical technology, so the arc in the 304 would be identical to the 280.
              Thanks cruizer for the technical break down.

              If that is the case I'll just see which I can find at a better price in good condition.

              Comment


              • #8
                If your willing to drive for 3 hours, I will let you weld with one of my Xmt 304s
                in all processes

                If you bring enough cash, you might could take one home.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Amc724 View Post
                  If your willing to drive for 3 hours, I will let you weld with one of my Xmt 304s
                  in all processes

                  If you bring enough cash, you might could take one home.
                  Amc724 that is really nice of you to offer.

                  I'm certainly interested in trying out one of millers inverter style welders.
                  Where would I need to drive to in order to try it?

                  Cash I have, but not really sure what they are worth. Just been looking at the eBay listings recently.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Just passed on a 304cc

                    A Craigslist offering the guy is in Sayervill NJ a real peach of a guy too
                    He's asking 2000 I got him to $1300 and then decided I didn't want it.

                    http://cnj.craigslist.org/tls/3624835232.html

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Raul McCai View Post
                      A Craigslist offering the guy is in Sayervill NJ a real peach of a guy too
                      He's asking 2000 I got him to $1300 and then decided I didn't want it.

                      http://cnj.craigslist.org/tls/3624835232.html

                      I didn't know there was a xmt 304 CC only version. Looking at the miller website pricing options I only see the CC/CV version. I wonder what the price difference were since this welder can essentially only stick and tig, no mig.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.