• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller order damaged by Fedex

Name:  0b3c4f9903e1181b797c4203eff9537d.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  51.9 KBName:  ef81f5ecddadb332ceee8870837e844f.jpg
Size:  50.5 KBMiller packaging could be much better.
    Just received my new Diversion 165 shipped Fedex from MD for "free". Pulled it out of the box, big dent. Miller packaging inside has no styrofoam, nothing but a minimal sized cardboard base for the bottom to sit in and a flimsey cardboard spacer at the top to prevent it from tipping and keeps it centered in the box, NOTHING to protect the edges or sides of the case.

I pray someone from Miller will read this and go to bat for me. I've been saving my money for a while now to buy this machine. I'm sick...

Just fyi if you are thinking of buying one long range via. Ebay Fedex..

Name:  f8ff604ac3e893758aa84f0342a0e038.jpg
Size:  39.2 KBName:  d798a102c4609d6fe09fb2fe2e9af605.jpg
Size:  37.1 KB
    Last edited by pard1971; 04-01-2013, 04:23 PM. Reason: Added pictures

Sounds like a fed ex problem now. Was damage noted on the shipper or did they just throw it on the porch and run. Everything i order from grizzly.com gets damaged so i quit. They fixed everything but i had to wait weeks for replacements...Bob
    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Miller does not need to go to bat for you. It is YOUR responsibility to receive the package and inspect for damage and either have the driver note it or refuse the shipment altogether. In any case, you need to contact the person you bought it from and find out if they insured the package against damage and start from there and see if there is any recourse.
      5x10 Bluco Fixture Table
      Cincinnati shear 10'x1/4"
      '11 Lincoln Power Mig 216
      '10 Syncro200 TIG runner
      Scotchman CPO 350 LT cold saw w/ AMS

Comment

Ive never had to do it but will fed X or UPS let you open a large box to check for damage?
        Nick
        Miller 252 Mig
        Miller Cricket XL
        Millermatic 150 Mig
        Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
        2-O/A outfits
        Jet Lathe and Mill
        Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
        DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
        Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
        20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
        Propane Forge
        60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
        Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
        and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
          Ive never had to do it but will fed X or UPS let you open a large box to check for damage?
          They will, but they are usually in a hurry, they want you to sign for it and they haul Bass.

Comment

Thats what i figured. I had a Delta 13.5 inch planer and a Makita 10 inch power mitre saw delivered without damage by FedX but as I have heard from others that may be a rare thing. I guess I was lucky. Just because the package is good doesn't mean there isn't internal damage.
            Nick
            Miller 252 Mig
            Miller Cricket XL
            Millermatic 150 Mig
            2-O/A outfits
            Jet Lathe and Mill
            Propane Forge

Comment

Doesn't matter, I deal with fed ex all the time. It is them you need to contact and say that they delivered a damaged item. They will get in contact with the company that shipped it to you and work out who is at fault. Not millers problem though.

Comment

I feel if the packaging is fine but there is damage inside , it is the mfg that is responsible but of course they will never admit it.
                Nick
                Miller 252 Mig
                Miller Cricket XL
                Millermatic 150 Mig
                2-O/A outfits
                Jet Lathe and Mill
                Propane Forge

Comment

It can be the manufacturers fault- Hobart had problems with their 1st run of 210 machines and they changed packaging
                  Ed Conley
                  http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                  MM252
                  MM211
                  Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                  TA185
                  Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                  O/A set
                  SO 2020 Bender
                  You can call me Bacchus

Comment

It is shipping issues like this that are leading me towards justifying spending $100 more to buy a Millermatic 211 from a LWS 40 miles away than buying it cheaper online from cyberweld with free shipping. I just wish our sales tax wasn't 8.25%. It is the sales tax that is the killer here.

I see your point. How are you suppose to refuse the package if you can't say hold on wait a minute while I open this and inspect it before I sign for it. I would be furious if they expected me to be fine with a welder with a big dent in it like that.

Hope you get it worked out.

Comment

Looks to me...

It looks like YOU picked this up at the FedX location. Is this true? ("Hold at Location" sticker)
                      Did you sign for it?
                      Did you note the damaged box when you did?
                      Did you think to inspect the contents before you signed?

Too many unanswered questions to give you a reasonable course of action but my gut tells me that unless you get a VERY generous seller you are stuck with what you have so make the best of it and move on.

Looks like you may have gotten too excited to get home and open your shiny new toy and failed to inspect your goods before signing for them...bit of a cosmetic flaw in your new tool to remember your mistake for sure.

I would be pissed but you are barking up the wrong tree. This one falls on you unless the FedX guy left it at your door step. Even still the first call with a box in that condition left at my door would be to the FedX guy not to some public forum.

Generally speaking the shipping party is the one who has to put in the claim to the shipping company...unless that has change recently.

UPS and the "UPS Store" is/was famous for that. Bring something to them and let them box it and/or ship it for you, you are out of the loop. nothing you can do about them damaging or loosing your stuff...they are both the shipper and shippy as it were.
                      MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
                      Just For Home Projects.

Comment

Guys by accepting the package you are not forgoing your rights. I have sent and received hundreds of car parts and if you have a damaged item you need to contact fed ex first. They will start a claim and get in touch with the sending party. In my experiences it does take some time to get sorted but I have never been out parts or money.

Comment

This is one of those cases where it seems (to me) to be somewhere in between "hidden damage" and "inadequate packaging".

I'm a stickler about packaging things I ship. On a couple of delicate and/or valuable things, I've made custom cardboard boxes using 2 and 3-ply cardboard (hard to find). I packaged a Tektronix oscilloscope and it wiped out my stash of 1/2" styrofoam and old seat cushion foam. Made one **** of a box to ship a Browning A-bolt rifle via the Post Office. I believe either one could have withstood a 10 foot drop.

The shippers should use those "shock watch" tags that turn a bright color when the package is mishandled.

Edit: I had a TV shipped to Best Buy and the screen was cracked. I had a heck of a time but finally made them give me a new one. That one was unboxed in the store and tested.
                          Last edited by USMCPOP; 03-11-2013, 02:29 PM.
                          Miller stuff:
                          Dialarc 250 (1974)
                          Syncrowave 250 (1992)
                          Spot welder (Dayton badged)

Comment

Working...
                          X