X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raul McCai
    started a topic About The 180 TIG material thickness

About The 180 TIG material thickness

The spec sheet says it can handle up to .1875" thick (3/16) .
    In your experience is this an absolute upper limit in material thickness or can you use it to get adequate penetration for thicker material (steel and alum) by going slower?

• MMW
    replied
    If your going to do more than the occasional 1/4" to 3/8" aluminum then this size machine is not for you.

Leave a comment:

• californiakid21
    replied
    The only place I've seen that thermal arc 186 is on cyberweld.com
    That fabricator 181 you pulled up isn't the same one.

Leave a comment:

• elvis
    replied
    You have the duty cycle backwards. 35% is 3.5 minutes of welding and 6.5 minutes of cooling. 100% would be non-stop welding.

Leave a comment:

• Raul McCai
    replied
    how much aluminum r u really going to weld with an air cooles torch?
    I'll see more steel than aluminum. I don't need very much 3/8" aluminum but I will need some.

Most of the stainless I'll work will be thinner like between 0.020" and 0.125"
    The steel will be thicker: from 0.125" to 0.375"
    Aluminum I'll see will be mostly 0.250" to 0.375" but less often 0.375"
    Then there will be the very occasional bit of inconel and hastalloy. I'd love to have a ton of inconel (I'm a brewer) but the stuff is spendy.

It's a thermal arc 186. 200amp. Square wave, ac/dc tig stick and a little higher duty cycle
    Nice price. Thermal Arc is a Victor product. ( Victor was Thermadyne) they have multiprocess machines but managed not to include a plasma cutter.
    A 35% duty cycle you have what - - - 6.5 minutes of welding time out of any given ten minute period?
    Are they making the 186 any more?

look at the PDF for the 181i
    http://victortechnologies.com/Therma...29_May2012.pdf

The miller 165 has duty cycle reported at
    60 A at 12.4 V, 100% Duty Cycle
    150 A at 16 V, 20% Duty Cycle
    165 A at 16.6 V, 15% Duty Cycle

The Victor machine duty cycle is reported as:
    140 A at 25.6 V, 30% Duty Cycle
    175 A at 27 V, 20% Duty Cycle

I don't know how to read the Volts/Amps differences. That is: what's it mean to the welding experience that one is 25.6 V and the other is 16 V in a sort of similar range of Amps.
    Last edited by Raul McCai; 03-11-2013, 10:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I have welded 3/16 with it. Wouldn't weld more than 1/8 with any seriousness. Very nice on 1/8 but duty cycle or not how much aluminum r u really going to weld with an air cooles torch?
    Originally posted by Raul McCai View Post
    Kind of you to offer.
    How thick have you welded with it?

Leave a comment:

• californiakid21
    replied
    Check this out. Anyone have any feed back about this machine? It's a thermal arc 186. 200amp. Square wave, ac/dc tig stick and a little higher duty cycle than miller diversion with a lot more options.
    It's a toss up for me because I'm a miller guy and think they have a good product.

http://m.cyberweld.com/tharc186acti.html

Leave a comment:

• Raul McCai
    replied
    Originally posted by turbo38t View Post
    I have a 165 with foot pedal if you want to come try it out. I'm 20 minutes south of the parkway bridge...
    Kind of you to offer.
    How thick have you welded with it?

Leave a comment:

• MMW
    replied
    If your talking about the diversion welders, the 165 & 180 are both rated the same. 150 amps at 20% duty cycle. The 180 duty cycle at max is 10%. Not very good. So even though you get an extra 15 amps it's only good for 1 minute out of 10.

With aluminum there really is no substitute for amps.

Leave a comment:

• MMW
    replied
    If you just want to know if a 180 class tig machine can do thicker than 3/16" the amswer is yes. I got by for years using a Lincoln 175 square wave tig. I commonly welded 1/4" aluminum with occasionaly thicker. Use of pre heat & bevels works wonders. The biggest issue was the duty cycle. If I wasn'
    t careful the machine would shut down. Once in a while I'd pop a 50 amp breaker also.

Any machine in this class is almost the same as far as output. Lincoln upped theirs to a 225 amp & Miller to a 200 amp. At max output the duty cycle was stupidly low. You can only get so much out of a 50 amp breaker with a transformer based machine.

The above applies to transformer based machines.
    Last edited by MMW; 03-10-2013, 07:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Raul McCai
    replied
    Originally posted by JMK WELDING View Post
    I live in Lincoln Park N.J. You should check out Hunterton cty Vo Tech to see if they have welding classes. They would be a lot cheaper if they do. I do know that morris cty and passaic cty offer adult education classes.
    Morris hasn't got anyone doing any welding at the moment.
    Welding is not the most common offering. Most schools seem not to offer courses ala cart but rather want a full course of study. I was done with formal education a while ago: went all the way and got the full monty.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I did union county votech....good stuff....won't teach you the trade but will show you the basics and millerwelds.com can help u figure out the rest.
    Originally posted by JMK WELDING View Post
    I live in Lincoln Park N.J. You should check out Hunterton cty Vo Tech to see if they have welding classes. They would be a lot cheaper if they do. I do know that morris cty and passaic cty offer adult education classes.

Leave a comment:

• JMK WELDING
    replied

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I have a 165 with foot pedal if you want to come try it out. I'm 20 minutes south of the parkway bridge...
    Originally posted by Raul McCai View Post
    NW corner of Hunterdon County NJ.
    I thought about taking a welding course at the local Voc' Tech, which would be the ideal way to go, but the county college wants $4-Gees for the two courses. I don't want a cert', I just need to do my own stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Raul McCai
    replied
    NW corner of Hunterdon County NJ.
    I thought about taking a welding course at the local Voc' Tech, which would be the ideal way to go, but the county college wants $4-Gees for the two courses. I don't want a cert', I just need to do my own stuff.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X