Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steel Prices

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel Prices

I'm just a beginner and purchase little so I know I'm not going to get big boy discounts but I hope to be as frugal as possible about what I purchase. I almost had a heart attack the first time I went to the steel store (not Lowes/Home Depot).

I've used this web site before just to get an idea of what something might cost as opposed to what I have to pay at the steel store. I don't buy here as the shipping makes it unreasonably priced for the little guy.

http://www.metalsdepot.com/index.php

I know prices vary a lot here and then and when, etc. but how much of a price guide can I assume this to be?

I used that exact website to see what I would be paying for a 2'x4'x1/4" steel plate...when I got to the local metal supplier the plate was less than half that sites quote (without calculating shipping).....call the shop you are going to buy from to get an accurate price

Comment

Tell us your location. Prices in your area will vary.

Comment

any thing from a buck a pound down to about 65 cents is a range that is most likely what you will run into, just guessing, of cource

Comment

You should consider scrap if thats available to you. I used to live very near an excellent scrap yard allowing me to rarely buy new. Depending on weight purchased, price varied between .25 and .35/lb. For sure you'll have to work w/i whats available but I didnt find that too difficult.

Comment

I found a pretty good source of steel about 10 miles NW of Chicago. He charged me $0.90/lb for anything I wanted. Lots of 1/8" up to 1 1/4" stuff. They build Industrial Machinery so they are mostly cut-offs and such, both large and small. He said he could also cut me some 1/8" or thicker plate and he would still charge the $0.90/lb. I didn't see much in the way of sheet steel, but his prices are the best I've found so far near me.

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.