Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trouble shooting push pull gun

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble shooting push pull gun

I have a 3 year old miller 252 and I just got a 25' push pull gun for it. I hooked it up, and when the trigger is activated, it feeds about 2" of wire, and then quits. The display shows this: hlp 005. I can't find my welder owners manual, can anyone tell me what this code is indicating?
    Also, any tips or suggestions on general use of pushpull for someone who has never used one would be appreciated. Thanks

Download Operator manual here.

http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php

Comment

Yes, the primary drive motor in the cabinet is overdriving, hence the help5 code. We get that on our mm350P if we overtighten the clamp springs. Loosen them and see if the 2 motors sync up. I guess the idea is to let the pull motor do most of the work, with the push motor as an assist.

There is a SUP value labeled on the torch. Does your machine need to have that value inputed in the controls?

Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by OHT View Post
        Good.

Page 30.

Comment

The push motor really doesn't do much after the wire is loaded. I loosen it off to near no pressure, Then it feeds fine,

Comment

In this type of situation the first thing I always suggest is to stretch the gun out straight, run a little wire out so you can grab it and then release the drive rolls in the unit and in the gun. After releasing the drive rolls try to pull the wire through the gun by hand, you should be able to pull it fairly easy, if you struggle to pull it the unit is going to struggle as well and you will want to check the spool brake tension and consider replacing the liner as well.

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.