Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller 211 keeps shutting off while welding. What's wrong?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Miller 211 keeps shutting off while welding. What's wrong?

    Hi:

    New member here, and I have a Miller 211 auto set welder. It's maybe a year old, and now while welding it just shuts off. The temp light is not on, I don't believe I'm touching the tip of the welder to my work piece, but it just shuts off. I can turn it back on right away then continue welding, but it shouldn't do this, and it, of course, disrupts my bead.

    Any thoughts as to why it would do this?

    Thanks!

  • #2
    Check your extension cord. if your using one. It could be shorting out. Causing the machine to reset it self. I had a loose wire screw in my extensions plug. Causing your same problem.

    Comment


    • #3
      Define "shuts off". Does the fan stop? Does the light go off? Does the trigger stop working if you release & re-squeeze it? What exactly does it take to "reset" - just the switch on the machine?

      An extension cord fault would trip the house breaker - it wouldn't affect the machine, other than killing power to it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Steve I'm no electrician. To explain it any better. But that's what it did. it "trip" the power switch on my 211. I knew it was the cord because any movement and it happen.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Steve83 View Post
          Define "shuts off". Does the fan stop? Does the light go off? Does the trigger stop working if you release & re-squeeze it? What exactly does it take to "reset" - just the switch on the machine?

          An extension cord fault would trip the house breaker - it wouldn't affect the machine, other than killing power to it.
          The welder turns itself off during use. The power switch moves to the off position and the welder shuts down. just as if I turned the machine off, only it is doing it itself.

          I can immediately turn the switch back on, and the welder powers up/ everything works fine again. Until it shuts itself off again...

          This will do it when I have the welder plugged directly into the wall, or use of an extension cord. doesn't matter.

          Comment


          • #6
            Sounds like an internal fault to me - I'd take in for repair.

            Comment


            • #7
              Let us know what you find out in case it happens to someone else

              Comment


              • #8
                Had a 211 doing the same thing & turned out the guy had the drive roll tension too tight. It would weld about an inch & then cutout. Criuser told us to back off drive roll pressure & it now works perfect. Worth a try.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Working from eecervantes83's suggestion-you might want to check for loose/overheated connections in your power cord and if not in the machine side of things(plug and internal connection point) check or have an electrician check the terminals in the outlet and at the breaker. Good luck.Keep us posted.
                  Meltedmetal

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Tuske427 View Post
                    The welder turns itself off during use. The power switch moves to the off position and the welder shuts down. just as if I turned the machine off, only it is doing it itself.

                    I can immediately turn the switch back on, and the welder powers up/ everything works fine again. Until it shuts itself off again...

                    This will do it when I have the welder plugged directly into the wall, or use of an extension cord. doesn't matter.
                    Sounds like the switch may be bad.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      switch

                      I think the swich is also a circuit breaker. May be overloading or just a bad breaker/switch. My new Hobart has the same funny feeling switch. Takes about 3 pounds of pressure to turn it on and abou 1 pound to turn it off. I have never had a problem with my machine though. The switch is something new.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thank you, everyone. There are several good suggestions here and I'll check them all this weekend, as I have some welding to do. I'll let you know next week if these fix it or not, and go from there.

                        Thanks!
                        -Brendon

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          do yourself a favor- call Miller !

                          Sorry, I have read so many posts where you can tell or at least it looks like people askin for help haven't even made the first step

                          download owners manual
                          get your serial # and stock # off the machine

                          and call Miller Tech Support Line 920-734-9821
                          (once again make sure you request someone specialized in your welding machine division example.. wire feed, tig, stick, engine driven)

                          This is all gathered from personal experience and some is personal opinion as well as approx prices, and examples of what can go wrong and what it may cost to get it back up and running--( I haven't had any experience dealing with other machine brands Tech support ) just sayin--- do some homework and see what you find out, I'm sure you will get to the bottom of it and most likely a lot faster then you would have ever believed by a simple phone call. and spreading your info/test info and visual inspection findings amongst the forums...

                          I would like to say that people on the Millerwelds forum as well as Weldingwebs forum have also been of great help. Even if you don't get the help you wanted on your post its likely if you search the forums you may find something that helps you that way as well.

                          I'm not saying doing it yourself is for everyone or that it is safe for your typical user and or customer, though I would like to say some of these machines are not as complicated as a person might think expecially when you do some research via forums and internet in general. Then get a little Guidance from Tech support at Miller, I was very impressed with Miller's Tech Service Support Staff's helpful nature and knowledge of product, I know of no other company that will help a person this much even when their product is out of warranty.

                          First of all it doesn't hurt to read the manual so please do so at the least, before opening up the machine. unplug the machine, etc if you need to ask I'm sure someone here will go into much more detail.... oh and a digital volt meter will be your friend through out diagnosis

                          (Servicing a welding machine is Dangerous if you don't use a little common sense and get a little knowledge of how to go about it before opening it up, so you can do so in a safer manner)


                          Hey,

                          Don't make the mistake that many people do and, forget that Miller Customer service is only a phone call away, its not a 1-800 call but, who doesn't have a cell phone these days? to use for such a call.....(even if your machine is old)

                          -have your Serial # ready and stock # , download your owners manual and print out any board diagrams, and main welding machine diagram, board parts listing
                          (don't know if your year model provides this but mine sure did, and its A FREE download from millerwelds.com)

                          -have those print outs ready so that you and the Tech can go over exactly what he or she thinks is causing your failure, this way you will both be lookin at close to the same information at the same time.

                          -for example if its a board issue, they will likely identify which one and if you catch em on a good day may even walk you though circuit diagram and show you what component on the board is most likely to be causing this failure.

                          -from there you can choose to gamble/go cheap and hope to repair it by fixing just that component in circuit, or send the board off for repair at a pcb repair shop(big difference here is they have the test equipment and knowledge of the board to properly test it after repairing it, so big plus there! (by reading the forums I've seen it said that they have approx 60% chance that they will be able to do the repair depending on what it is and damage that it has taken), last option would be buy the New board from Miller and either one- the repaired board or New one I would think should be installed by a Miller Service Center if you want any kinda warranty.

                          The Difference :

                          -option #1 probably under $100 but yer just gambling, depending on yer situation and what board yer dealing with/ what components you need and scope of work. by a local electronics and or TV Repair shop,or people that service large amps for Public Address systems and or Concert Equipment, they can get the electronic components or you can find them yourself Newark.com or Digikey.com

                          -option #2 probably close to $200- $500 If they are able to repair it, you should probably add approx. $ 100 to the bill for a Service Center to install it so you get some warranty( I have not verified this but I'm sure you could before you spend the money)

                          -option #3 probably close to $250- $1,000 + depending on what you need and age of the machine I'm sure... and then add what ever the Service Center Charges you to install it, also I'm sure you may have to go through the Service Center to get the part so the price is likely some additional $ added for you to buy it from them mark up/profit/etc..

                          Don't get me wrong guys, I'm not trying to hurt millers profit's or all the Service shops around the world. though the fact that people are on the forum asking for help is indication enough that they would like to stay away from the service shop prices and attempt repair themselves if at all possible, before being faced with letting a shop do the service. there are people that can afford to throw money at machines in a service shop and there are others that its either not cost effective or they can't afford to go that route at this time. thankfully Miller Tech support is there for us at no charge with helpful info to at least assist with pin pointing whats going on and approx price of part to repair it minus shipping fees, installation fees or service center mark up of course. As well as, Millerwelds forum and weldingweb these too are great assests provided to use at no cost other than your time to do the research and properly show them pic's serial # etc of whats going on and. its very likely you'll come out with a favorable outcome. Basically I've been helped by all of these places listed and my purpose is to attempt to help others with the limited knowledge that I have with these machines compared to a person like cruiser and there are many others out there I'm sure, just listing the resident forum rock star here lol. It's wise to get as much information from as many sources that are able to help you as possible, and go from there.

                          Yeah this has been rediculously long, I know. Yet if this helps one person perhaps it will help others too, at least understand what they are going to be dealing with.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by shadowiz View Post
                            Sorry, I have read so many posts where you can tell or at least it looks like people askin for help haven't even made the first step

                            download owners manual
                            get your serial # and stock # off the machine

                            and call Miller Tech Support Line 920-734-9821
                            (once again make sure you request someone specialized in your welding machine division example.. wire feed, tig, stick, engine driven)

                            This is all gathered from personal experience and some is personal opinion as well as approx prices, and examples of what can go wrong and what it may cost to get it back up and running--( I haven't had any experience dealing with other machine brands Tech support ) just sayin--- do some homework and see what you find out, I'm sure you will get to the bottom of it and most likely a lot faster then you would have ever believed by a simple phone call. and spreading your info/test info and visual inspection findings amongst the forums...

                            I would like to say that people on the Millerwelds forum as well as Weldingwebs forum have also been of great help. Even if you don't get the help you wanted on your post its likely if you search the forums you may find something that helps you that way as well.

                            I'm not saying doing it yourself is for everyone or that it is safe for your typical user and or customer, though I would like to say some of these machines are not as complicated as a person might think expecially when you do some research via forums and internet in general. Then get a little Guidance from Tech support at Miller, I was very impressed with Miller's Tech Service Support Staff's helpful nature and knowledge of product, I know of no other company that will help a person this much even when their product is out of warranty.

                            First of all it doesn't hurt to read the manual so please do so at the least, before opening up the machine. unplug the machine, etc if you need to ask I'm sure someone here will go into much more detail.... oh and a digital volt meter will be your friend through out diagnosis

                            (Servicing a welding machine is Dangerous if you don't use a little common sense and get a little knowledge of how to go about it before opening it up, so you can do so in a safer manner)


                            Hey,

                            Don't make the mistake that many people do and, forget that Miller Customer service is only a phone call away, its not a 1-800 call but, who doesn't have a cell phone these days? to use for such a call.....(even if your machine is old)

                            -have your Serial # ready and stock # , download your owners manual and print out any board diagrams, and main welding machine diagram, board parts listing
                            (don't know if your year model provides this but mine sure did, and its A FREE download from millerwelds.com)

                            -have those print outs ready so that you and the Tech can go over exactly what he or she thinks is causing your failure, this way you will both be lookin at close to the same information at the same time.

                            -for example if its a board issue, they will likely identify which one and if you catch em on a good day may even walk you though circuit diagram and show you what component on the board is most likely to be causing this failure.

                            -from there you can choose to gamble/go cheap and hope to repair it by fixing just that component in circuit, or send the board off for repair at a pcb repair shop(big difference here is they have the test equipment and knowledge of the board to properly test it after repairing it, so big plus there! (by reading the forums I've seen it said that they have approx 60% chance that they will be able to do the repair depending on what it is and damage that it has taken), last option would be buy the New board from Miller and either one- the repaired board or New one I would think should be installed by a Miller Service Center if you want any kinda warranty.

                            The Difference :

                            -option #1 probably under $100 but yer just gambling, depending on yer situation and what board yer dealing with/ what components you need and scope of work. by a local electronics and or TV Repair shop,or people that service large amps for Public Address systems and or Concert Equipment, they can get the electronic components or you can find them yourself Newark.com or Digikey.com

                            -option #2 probably close to $200- $500 If they are able to repair it, you should probably add approx. $ 100 to the bill for a Service Center to install it so you get some warranty( I have not verified this but I'm sure you could before you spend the money)

                            -option #3 probably close to $250- $1,000 + depending on what you need and age of the machine I'm sure... and then add what ever the Service Center Charges you to install it, also I'm sure you may have to go through the Service Center to get the part so the price is likely some additional $ added for you to buy it from them mark up/profit/etc..

                            Don't get me wrong guys, I'm not trying to hurt millers profit's or all the Service shops around the world. though the fact that people are on the forum asking for help is indication enough that they would like to stay away from the service shop prices and attempt repair themselves if at all possible, before being faced with letting a shop do the service. there are people that can afford to throw money at machines in a service shop and there are others that its either not cost effective or they can't afford to go that route at this time. thankfully Miller Tech support is there for us at no charge with helpful info to at least assist with pin pointing whats going on and approx price of part to repair it minus shipping fees, installation fees or service center mark up of course. As well as, Millerwelds forum and weldingweb these too are great assests provided to use at no cost other than your time to do the research and properly show them pic's serial # etc of whats going on and. its very likely you'll come out with a favorable outcome. Basically I've been helped by all of these places listed and my purpose is to attempt to help others with the limited knowledge that I have with these machines compared to a person like cruiser and there are many others out there I'm sure, just listing the resident forum rock star here lol. It's wise to get as much information from as many sources that are able to help you as possible, and go from there.

                            Yeah this has been rediculously long, I know. Yet if this helps one person perhaps it will help others too, at least understand what they are going to be dealing with.

                            You are correct- I haven not yet called Miller. I thought I'd try asking others on the board here first, in case they have had similar experiences, or know what's going on. Sometimes it's a simple fix. Like I said, the temp light hasn't turned on, so I know I'm not overheating the unit. And everything suggested has been logical and easy to do/ check. Believe me, I paid too much for this equipment to just start monkeying with it. If the first few tricks don't work, I will be on the phone with them.

                            FWIW I did download the manual, checked the trouble shooting guide and had no success.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              miller tech support suggestion

                              No disrespect intended by the way... it sounds like I may have offended you, that wasn't my intention. I merely meant that whether it is machine related or user error they are there for you with info right now, not days later, and who doesn't like that lol..oh and you won't be talkin to someone in INDIA china etc. you'll be speakin with red blooded American's. Try getting some help from DELL and being out of warranty or still under warranty, yer only choice is to deal with people from INDIA etc lol.. that are only able to search a knowledge base on the computer much like these forums and answer your questions with that, rather than actually knowing the product and exactly how it works all the way down to the circuitry ( huge difference in customer service ) and they actually expect you to pay yearly for poor DELL customer service like that. Sadly it seems the way of things these days. I hope WE soon wise up and stop such rediculous practices. Oh and by all means as I said its wise to put the word out there and make use of all forums that pertain to welding machines, doesn't hurt. Thats what they are here for and I'm glad they are provided as well at no charge!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.