Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats with power switches on the rear?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats with power switches on the rear?

Is their some logic in the on/off power switch being on the rear of both my Miller 211 and the Hyperthern? Its a bit of a pain fumbeling along the back edge feeling for the switch. No big deal breaker but curious if anyone knows the logic to the rear?

I can't tell give you the logic but it is inconvenient to say the least. I have gotten use to it but it took a while.

Comment

I agree, They did it in my 2050 plazma and on my Dynasty.

Comment

Likely it is cheaper to make, less heavy gauge copper wire. Probably saves them $1.25

Comment

Could be carry over from the Pow Con days. They are tough to operate. They say Miller bought Pow Con for the inverter technology.

Comment

Originally posted by walker View Post
            Likely it is cheaper to make, less heavy gauge copper wire. Probably saves them $1.25
            No reason to worry about the convenience to the owner... Or lack of.
            Lincoln did it on the Invertec also.

Comment

Saving a few pennies

As a former manufacturing engineer, I think that saving a few pennies is the real reason. From a human factors issue, it is just bad design, no excuse for it. Many welders do have the power switch on the front, where it belongs.

Originally posted by walker View Post
              Richard

Comment

Highly Phuking annoying. Couldn't agree more.

Comment

The switch on my MM210 is on the front, but turned horizontal. NBD to me, but when it came out there was a lot of complaints.

Comment

My MM140 has it right upfront where it should be. If it really bothers you, you could extend the wires cut a hole and mount it in front where you want it. But that may void the warranty then, not sure.

Comment

Whats with power switches on the rear?

I don't like it either on my 375 x on my dynasty 350 but they put the switch on the coolmate 3 on front what gives

Comment

Pwer Swithes in the rear

Could this be to slow you down, giving the equipment additional time to cool?

Comment

I really notice it on the plasma. I have a long lead and have the unit up out of the way. Its not a deal breaker and I understand it to some extent, switch close to the incoming lead is always good.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardrockshot View Post
                            Could this be to slow you down, giving the equipment additional time to cool?
                            Maybe or keep people from constantly switching on and off their machine. Put some hours on that thing and think you need a new one.

I'm glad the coolant pump switch is on the front (Dynasty), I'll switch off the noise when the cup cools but a lot of time I don't try and reach the welder switch until I am done.

Mine is tough to get to right now but thinking on putting it back on its hand truck type cart, but its a PITA to get out of its anti theft area.

Comment

It's not hard to move... Click these & read the captions:

Yesterday, I pulled that #+$*^% nylock nut from the spool stud & put a wingnut on backward.

Last edited by Steve83; 03-06-2013, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.