Cutting Welds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by walker View Post
    Use an abrasive wheel on a 4 1/2" angle grinder, cut straight down. It will cut the leg on the side as well, then just weld up the part that was cut on the side if you are trying to save it.
    I guess I could do this.

Comment

Next time bolt the casters on and avoid this problem again in the future. I see these casters have the holes in them so they can be bolted, but some genius decided to weld them on, thus causing the problem you now have.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank R View Post
        Pretty expensive equipment to cut a few welds, don't you think?

Jim, your avatar is not showing up. I know you from postings on other forums. I think you need to have some more disclosure on who you represent. And really, posting on a Miller forum?
        I believe we all know Jim works for Hypertherm so I don't see where he is trying to "hide" anything.Jim gave an honest answer to your question and then you snip back like he is trying to sell you equipment......I don't read a sales pitch in his post.

Comment

Originally posted by big mike View Post
          I believe we all know Jim works for Hypertherm so I don't see where he is trying to "hide" anything.Jim gave an honest answer to your question and then you snip back like he is trying to sell you equipment......I don't read a sales pitch in his post.
          Noty my intent. I saw that he had an avatar, actually a signature, that was not showing. His intent was full disclosure, it just was not happening. Trying to help there.

I understood his post but he missed the point about my not wanting to go that route yet.

Of course Jim is doing a good service by educating people about the use of plasma cutters. I just thought it was a little odd to be doing it on a competitor's forum.

Comment

Originally posted by big mike View Post
            As a matter of fact, I found his suggestion very informative. We should be appreciative of Jim's participation on this forum.
            Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
            3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
            Miller Dynasty200DX
            ThermalArc 400 GTSW
            MillerMatic350P
            MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
            MKCobraMig260
            Lincoln SP-170T
            Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
            Hypertherm 1250
            Hypertherm 800
            PlasmaCam CNC cutter
            Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
            SiberHegner CNC Mill
            2 ea. Bridgeport
            LeBlond 15" Lathe
            Haberle 18" Cold Saw
            Doringer 14" Cold Saw
            6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

Originally posted by shovelon View Post
              As a matter of fact, I found his suggestion very informative. We should be appreciative of Jim's participation on this forum.
              I agree.

Comment

Hey Jim (sorry Frank)If you are from Hypertherm just wanted to let you know I bought one of your plazma machines awhile back (powermate 45)I could not be more pleased with it.I'm not a yardart guy but I do a fair number of signs 3" - 18" letters and this works great,Im pretty much old school and am probably one of the last hold outs,Yes you can cut 20ga with a torch ,but this sure beats it.BTW Frank I cant imagine there is not a welding shop in your area that would not be more than happy to replace those casters for you,but I could be wrong.Just make sure you are not using a left hand cutter on a right hand die grinder.Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Forger View Post
                  BTW Frank I cant imagine there is not a welding shop in your area that would not be more than happy to replace those casters for you,but I could be wrong.Just make sure you are not using a left hand cutter on a right hand die grinder.Good Luck!
                  And deny me the opportunity to fill my tanks and use a cutting torch for the first time in thirty two years?

Its been fun learning all the different ways of doing things, and I get to buy new toys.

Comment

Working...
                  X