Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutting Welds

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Welds

Name:  826b23388aa9c6c4e543eb1bac074fea.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  50.0 KB

I need to cut several stitch welds to remove some casters off the bottom of a cart. I used an angle grinder to cut some of them. I then switched to a mini die grinder to get in some tighter spots; that grinder was very weak. But I still need to remove some more.

The picture shows the tight spot they are in. I cannot get a grinding disc in there and I cannot get a sawzall blade under the caster base.

Can I bust them out with a cold chisel?

I did some reading on arc gouging and plasma cutting but I don't want to buy that kind of equipment just yet.

One post I researched mentioned using a stick welder turned up high and using a conventional rod to melt the weld, and letting gravity do the rest. I have a Thunderbolt AC/DC. Can I do this with the supply of rods I have on hand (I do not know what they are; they came with a welder)? Or do I have to buy some special kind of rod?

Please provide instructions on how I should do this, or point me in the right direction.

If you crank the heat way up you can burn holes with about any rod. That can be effective.

Depending on how well that weld penetrated you could also get a mini-cutoff wheel and put it in a drill and get most of the weld and then chisel the rest. It is basically just a game of what tools you have and what you can readily get. I'm spoiled so I would just grab my plasma and knock it off in a hurry.

BTW, this is a good reason to bolt caster to something. Easy to remove. I like to weld a mount plate and then drill holes to bolt the casters onto the piece.

Good luck.

Comment

I would suggest you get a die grinder and use a carbide ball type rotary burr and grind the weld out. After you get most of the weld ground out use a cold chisel under the plate to break it free.

Comment

It's a bit messy but it can be done with an O/A cutting torch. die grinder will also work. Take a good look at the profiles of carbide cutters available. I have some that are flat on the end with no cutting surface there and flared like an upside-down pine tree. They'd cut it almost loose then as Tackit says get out the chisel and the big hammer.
        Meltedmetal

Comment

Cutting Welds

I can't see the whole caster, can't you just cut the shaft for the caster and leave the plate?

Comment

You could probably cut that out with a cape chisel &/or a diamond point chisel.

Comment

Thanks for the answers.

I have a little HF mini die grinder with a small cut-off wheel that I tried for the first time after my Makita grinder could not get any closer. That thing was nearly worthless; it stalled easily. I'll try switching that wheel to a drill to see if it helps, but it won't help much due to the tight surroundings.

I had thought about cutting off the caster pillers and leaving the plate; that may still be an option. I am going to try and save them becasue these are really nice casters with grease fittings.

I have one of those Port-A-Torch outfits but I have not had the tanks filled yet.

Did some more reading on carbon arc gouging. Says it is hard on 20% duty cycle machines. But then again, I only have a few to remove.

Looks like I will try the hammer and chisel first. I will also go looking for those carbide rotary burrs I have somewhere.
              Last edited by Frank R; 03-04-2013, 07:24 AM.

Comment

If you have an oxy/acet torch setup I would just use a scarfing tip on the torch to remove it.

Comment

carbon arc gouging is good, if you have never done it before, use a different method, once you make contact, its go, you can destroy stuff in seconds, of if not experienced, a weld can become glazed over and then the arc wont touch it, carbon bit in die grinder is the answer, buy the good bits, they are about 20 bucks, the 4 dollar bits will not work

Comment

[QUOTE=Frank R;303103]Thanks for the answers.

I have one of those Port-A-Torch outfits but I have not had the tanks filled yet. .

Originally posted by clint738 View Post
                    If you have an oxy/acet torch setup I would just use a scarfing tip on the torch to remove it.
                    It looks like you now have a good reason to get those tanks filled. This method will probably be the easiest way out of this situation^^^^. And you can pick up the scarfing tip while getting the tanks filled. What good is having the torch out fit and empty tanks anyway?

Comment

Plasma arc gouging works extrmely well for blowing out welds. It is easy to control the depth and width, very easy and fast. Many newer technology air plasma torchs have special gouging nozzle that create a softer arc....made specifically for gouging.
                      Jim Colt

Originally posted by Frank R View Post
                      Name:  826b23388aa9c6c4e543eb1bac074fea.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  50.0 KB

I need to cut several stitch welds to remove some casters off the bottom of a cart. I used an angle grinder to cut some of them. I then switched to a mini die grinder to get in some tighter spots; that grinder was very weak. But I still need to remove some more.

The picture shows the tight spot they are in. I cannot get a grinding disc in there and I cannot get a sawzall blade under the caster base.

Can I bust them out with a cold chisel?

I did some reading on arc gouging and plasma cutting but I don't want to buy that kind of equipment just yet.

One post I researched mentioned using a stick welder turned up high and using a conventional rod to melt the weld, and letting gravity do the rest. I have a Thunderbolt AC/DC. Can I do this with the supply of rods I have on hand (I do not know what they are; they came with a welder)? Or do I have to buy some special kind of rod?

Please provide instructions on how I should do this, or point me in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank R View Post
                        I don't want to buy that kind of equipment just yet.
                        Pretty expensive equipment to cut a few welds, don't you think?

Jim, your avatar is not showing up. I know you from postings on other forums. I think you need to have some more disclosure on who you represent. And really, posting on a Miller forum?
                        Last edited by Frank R; 03-04-2013, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Well, I found some burrs but they turned out to be made from high speed steel; did not work too well.

Beat the daylights out of a weld with a cold chisel. Very, very slow progress.

Today I called my LWS to see about filling my little tanks. I also ordered a scarfing tip. They had to special order it for the size 3 torch. They gave me a nice break on the retail price too. Plan to pick it up on Saturday.

I will have to keep looking for the 1 inch wheels. The smallest that the LWS carried were 3 inch.

Comment

Can't you just angle grind/zip disk through the stitch and base's lip and then weld the lip back up. Lot cleaner then trying to pick it out with a torch.

Comment

Use an abrasive wheel on a 4 1/2" angle grinder, cut straight down. It will cut the leg on the side as well, then just weld up the part that was cut on the side if you are trying to save it. Once one side of the caster is cut you should be able to pry up on it and likely break the weld on the other side fairly easily. As an alternative you could use a grinding stone perpendicular to teh weld and gouge down on the caster. This will leave a bevel where the weld was, but will not cut through the side of whatever it is on. You can weld up the bevel when you weld it on the next project

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.