Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

food grade stainless

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• food grade stainless

I've been asked to weld some food grade containers. They don't look anything special but what filler rod should I be using? Is 308 ok?

I spoke to a friend and he said that I should be using ER347.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

food grade stainless

316L is food grade.

Comment

food grade stainless

308l iswhat you need! How thick it is? You may want to back purge your weld! If you dont have any purge ,i would use a piece of red copper place tight against the joint on the back side of it!
      Dont over heat it! Itll oxidize!
      (Without purging or at least backing you will have whats call "sugar" and specialy in food grade,you dont want that!)

Comment

food grade stainless

316l is also good!!

Comment

Originally posted by IanHerbert View Post
          I've been asked to weld some food grade containers. They don't look anything special but what filler rod should I be using? Is 308 ok?

I spoke to a friend and he said that I should be using ER347.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
          Normally, 304 material is what is used in food enviroinments, hence 308 filler is used. 316 is much more expensive, and not usually required for food grade service. 316 is usually suited more for chemical-resistance.

But if you need to ask the question, perhaps this job is not for you???

Comment

food grade stainless

Why would u say that ? nothing wrong with getting straight advise on what filler rod to use better to ask now then weld it all and use the wrong filler rod on it right ?

Comment

food grade stainless

All appliances like fridge ,stove microwave snd such are usually welded with 316 ,restaurant carts,counters and such with 308...
              You know ,its a big world the food industrie,and there is lots to know about it!
              U cant just improvise!
              You know..depending on the thickness of it and the fittings..u may not even need filler...
              Its hard to really give you a right answer to that!
              But it needs to be clean!
              Clean!
              Good luck
              Hope it helped you
              Clean

Comment

I know 316 is more expensive but cost is not the issue. If I use a copper back plate won't i still get sugaring if the temp gets too hot?
                I would like to get 100% pen as its holding liquids.

I haven't done much in the food grade side of welding. I weld aircraft parts and parts made of exotic materials. Most of it done in a oxygen free environment.

Comment

food grade stainless

Copper will heat your heat a lot ! Make sure its thight on the back! Can you weld both sides?
                  The high deal is purging!specialy when liquid is involved! How thick is it?

Comment

food grade stainless

You dont want it to get too hot either! It will oxidize if your temp become too hot

Comment

food grade stainless

Copper will eat your heat"

Comment

OK... so you are all confused. For one if your welds are sugared on the back side you need more practice with stainless... as in speed up, and "food grade" is in the finish. It is less porous. You can get just about any stainless in food grade. And I know at one time all of us had to ask the same question!

Comment

food grade stainless

Weldonwelding,
                          If you need full pen on your weld,and there is no purge or backing..no matter what speed you going at..youll get "sugar"
                          So let say i have a piece of 309 stainless kicking around i can use that for food processing??
                          Heuu...bignono!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rhinox:303064
                            Weldonwelding,
                            If you need full pen on your weld,and there is no purge or backing..no matter what speed you going at..youll get "sugar"
                            So let say i have a piece of 309 stainless kicking around i can use that for food processing??
                            Heuu...bignono!!
                            They make 304 food grade, 316 food grade, 200 series food grades, 400 series food grades... there are lots of food grades. The series doesn't determine whether its food grade or not. I have been welding in food process plants for about 15yrs, mostly chicken plants and when I first started I burned through quite a bit. It takes practice. But just cause your burning through doesn't mean you have to purge or use a back plate.. most cases your going too slow. In the food industry filler metal is hardly ever used on sheet metal (like were talking about here).

Comment

food grade stainless

..mmm
                              If you dont purge on the back u cant have a sanitary weld...unless you weld both sides...(or backing or purge) it cant have a joint without welds even pin hole..gotta be white...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.