Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any thoughts on the Multimatic 200?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any thoughts on the Multimatic 200?

Curious what anyone or everyone has to say about the 200...pro's/cons???

Me too... I keep a Max star 150stl and a millermatic 180 in my work truck and thought about replacing them with the multimatic but I haven't heard anything good or bad about it.

Comment

There are some other threads on this welder...just do a search with the word multimatic.

I've owned the Multimatic 200 for about 5 months, but I've only gotten to use it a little bit due to weather. It is a well-made, easy to use welder. I haven't welded in years (40+ and that was stick welding) and it's really straight-forward and easy to make really nice looking welds.

Right now, I give it a 5 star rating.

Steve

Comment

Had one since about July - awsome.

It is the nicest welding MIG I have ever used. I think I might be able to dial in the 350 to weld the same but I haven't been able to do it yet.

The arc starts fast. The weld is rather low on spatter. With .030 wire and c25 I'm very very comfortable doing smaller stuff. Bottom line, the weld looks pretty and is nicely wetted out using the factory settings.

Respect the lack of power at 110V. You can crank the voltage (override the autoset) but you will not get more voltage out. The autoset, BTW, is extremely nice.

It welds 100% exactly the same on 110V as it does on 220, just more power available on 220.

I have not used the stick or TIG capability. The MIG capability overlaps to a large extent and it MIGs so nice its hardly worth effort.

I'm a big fan on the MIG Gun. Nice gas coverage, a little bit of nozzle spray and it stays very clean for hours. Its a smaller gun (right sized for a 200Amp machine).

As for portable, when you add hoses, cables, and load it up with a wire spool you probably double the weight.

Miller claims its software upgradable and I was informed that a software update was available, but I found that the machine is a bit too new for the dealers in my area to know what that was all about. One day I will check with the dealer's service department. For MIG, I hope they don't change a thing. I would like to see a broader selection for stick welding. I have a pretty soft stick welder already

The only issue is price. The local dealer had a 'show' price of about what you can get it from the Internet - about 25% off list. Normally they run 15% off list from the same place.

If its in your budget, and you understand the limit of a 200Amp machine (note the low duty cycle at full output) you will be very happy with the machine. I was actually saving up for a passport plus(good used ones were going for 1500), I tried the machine out at the 'show' and was hooked. Walked into the store and made a deal for it. I've used it side by side with my 350p and my friends 230 Hobart and this machine is much much easier to produce really nice looking beads. It was so much easier my friend with the Hobart went out and bought one (he welds professionally - fabricating 4x4 trucks and buggies) and wanted the smoother beads so it looked better for his customers. In fact, everyone that has tired mine has remarked how smooth the weld goes (low spatter, good wetting, nice looking bead).

Now the question, is it worth $1800+? I can say that although I love the results, I haven't gotten my $1800 out of it. If it lasts (no reason that I know why it wouldn't) I'm positive I will get my money out of it.

Comment

I actually own a multimatic and let me tell you it's one of nicest machine I have user and well worth the money for me because I love the portability. I have compared this machine side by side with a miller suitcase and a millermatic 212 and let tell out of all three the multimatic had the smoothest welds of course it can't compare to the power of the suitcase but actually has a lot of power for such a small machine . I have welded 1/8 -3/8 steel And remember I had to turn it down because it was burning through and yes the autoset elite works real nice. But only thing I think it needs to upgrade to a 200 amp gun the one that came with it is a 150 a Bernard q gun. I have compared the weight next to a millermatic 140 and both machines fully loaded the multimatic is half the weight of the millermatic 140(which the 140 weight about 85 pounds with a 11 pound spool and gun,ground). Overall I def. recommend the multimatic but if you don't want the portability I hear the mm211 is a great machine and about half the price .

Comment

Appreciate the input...I actually own one, but be'in I'm really just gett'in into welding, I wanted to see what welders say about it...This is my second unit, the first had an error message keep come'in up and after take'in it to the lws for repair I ended up calling Miller and they dropped shipped me a new one (excellent customer service from all the tech guys at Miller I spoke to)...in the past I had a LE 100 HD but wanted to get into Tig and Stick so I bought the 200.Been take'in a welding class and have used the 200 just about every day screw'in around.I haven't done Tig yet, only Stick & Mig w/o gas...I just finished sett'in up my shop and build'in a tank rack for my truck so I can get gas, that'll be Monday.

Comment

I was looking at the diversion 180 but I wondered why it welds less on tig than the 200. I was looking at the 211 and diversion 180 for the price of the 200. Since miller has their sale going on. Just wondered what others would buy. the 211 and diversion 180 vs multimatic 200?? Thoughts please pros and cons weight is obviously one :-(

Comment

I also was looking into the same thing. can i use it to replace my maxstar 150STH? I know the STH has basic pulse but other then that i would like to know how the multimatic TIG welds compared to the maxstar 150.

Comment

The weight is a major factor but comparing the mm211 with the multimatic hands down the multimatic has a smoother weld but over all the power seems the same, the price for the 211 is 1000 and the multimatic is 1795 but the multimatic is a multiprocess which means you have 3 machines in 1 at first I was thinking about getting the 211 because of the price but let me tell you the multimatic is the best investment I have made

Comment

Originally posted by con_fuse9 View Post
                    ..........The only issue is price. The local dealer had a 'show' price of about what you can get it from the Internet - about 25% off list. Normally they run 15% off list from the same place.........
                    My local welding supplier gave me a total price -- with the spool gun and the TIG outfit -- that was about $70 higher than the best price I could find online. It was basically the sales tax he had to charge. But, I decided I felt better about buying it from a local company, especially if I have problems in the future. It arrived at the supplier 2 days after I ordered it and he called me to tell me it was ready. Drove down the road to pick it up (about 4 miles) and he loaded it on the back of my truck. Then he loaded on a 10lb spool of MIG wire, a package of TIG 'wire', a 1lb spool of aluminum wire, a full cylinder of argon and one of Argon/CO2. I said how much for all that?? He said, don't worry about it, it's stuff you need to get started. I said the only thing you didn't give me was stick electrodes, thank you so much!! He said you're right and went in and got a 10lb box of 7018. I was only kidding because I am taking a welding class at the local votech (thanks to the VA's VRAP program) and the only thing I have done so far is stick. I think it worked out better paying the higher price and buying locally!!
                    Last edited by mbramble; 02-23-2014, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mbramble View Post
                      My local welding supplier gave me a total price -- with the spool gun and the TIG outfit -- that was about $70 higher than the best price I could find online. It was basically the sales tax he had to charge. But, I decided I felt better about buying it from a local company, especially if I have problems in the future. It arrived at the supplier 2 days after I ordered it and he called me to tell me it was ready. Drove down the road to pick it up (about 4 miles) and he loaded it on the back of my truck. Then he loaded on a 10lb spool of MIG wire, a package of TIG 'wire', a 1lb spool of aluminum wire, a full cylinder of argon and one of Argon/CO2. I said how much for all that?? He said, don't worry about it, it's stuff you need to get started. I said the only thing you didn't give me was stick electrodes, thank you so much!! He said you're right and went in and got a 10lb box of 7012. I was only kidding because I am taking a welding class at the local votech (thanks to the VA's VRAP program) and the only thing I have done so far is stick. I think it worked out better paying the higher price and buying locally!!
                      If that is the sort of service you get from your local welding supplier, I'd be a customer there for life if I were close by.
                      I bought a MM252 a few months ago along with 10lbs of wire and the welder cover and the shop I drove 45 miles to wouldn't even throw in a cheap container of nozzle dip (I purchased it). A couple grand spend and not a single freebe.
                      Retailers around here don't realize how much business they loose due to service sometimes. When I buy an auto-darkening hood later this year, I will be buying online since what is the point of paying sales tax if the service is not there.

Comment

Originally posted by clint738 View Post
                        If that is the sort of service you get from your local welding supplier, I'd be a customer there for life if I were close by.I bought a MM252 a few months ago along with 10lbs of wire and the welder cover and the shop I drove 45 miles to wouldn't even throw in a cheap container of nozzle dip (I purchased it). A couple grand spend and not a single freebe. Retailers around here don't realize how much business they loose due to service sometimes. When I buy an auto-darkening hood later this year, I will be buying online since what is the point of paying sales tax if the service is not there.
                        Well, I am an 'old man' just learning to weld for my own satisfaction. I had been into that supplier a couple times for items like gloves, leathers, etc., since they provide a 10% student discount for our school. It is also the place where the school buys all equipment and consumables. I had talked with my instructor about the Multimatic 200 and the ThermalArc 211i. He recommended Miller. I showed him the Internet prices for both and he asked if I had tried Wesco. When I said no he recommended I drop by and see what they could do. As I said above, all I knew when I bought it was that I was paying $70 more than I could have gotten it for online but was fine with that because I was buying locally. The freebies were a huge surprise when I picked it up. I was really shocked because I am just a newbie with no plans of welding professionally and never expected that sort of treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by clint738 View Post
                          If that is the sort of service you get from your local welding supplier, I'd be a customer there for life if I were close by.
                          I bought a MM252 a few months ago along with 10lbs of wire and the welder cover and the shop I drove 45 miles to wouldn't even throw in a cheap container of nozzle dip (I purchased it). A couple grand spend and not a single freebe.
                          Retailers around here don't realize how much business they loose due to service sometimes. When I buy an auto-darkening hood later this year, I will be buying online since what is the point of paying sales tax if the service is not there.
                          Beware buying online! You mentioned an auto-darkening hood later this year. I bought an Arc One auto darkening hood last year. They advertised it online as a digital hood. When I got it, it was not a digital! I sent Arc One 3 different e-mails about this issue. I have still not received a response! Beware online purchases and who you deal with!

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.