Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

thunderbolt AC/DC 225 copper or aluminum?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thunderbolt AC/DC 225 copper or aluminum?

looking at a used thunderbolt AC/DC, wondering if it is copper or aluminum? anyone know?

Originally posted by 65-408 View Post
    looking at a used thunderbolt AC/DC, wondering if it is copper or aluminum? anyone know?

Actually Copper and aluminum, whats the purpose of your question....

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
      Actually Copper and aluminum, whats the purpose of your question....
      Unlike alot of people, I am generally not afraid of buying used equipment, especially something as robust and simple as a transformer based arc welder. I fact, I find that alot of times, the older equipment is built better than the new. I am wondering if this is the case here as well, when comparing the older thunderbolt design (ac/dc with the top handle) to the current thunderbolt XL. I know that aluminum will conduct the electricity just fine, but I believe copper is better for these machine. Just wondering what the Thunderbolt AC/DC's had inside? sounds like both copper and aluminum?

Comment

Whether it is Aluminum or Copper or a combination, it is a tried and true machine. What bothers me more on newer machines is that the short leads are hard wired and not as easily or cheaply replaced.

Comment

These units have not particularly changed over the last 40 years. originally the shunts were horizontal, then they went vertical, now they are back to horizontal.

Unsure what all the hub bub is with Aluminum and copper anyways. Aluminum conducts WAAAAYYYY better than copper.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
            Unsure what all the hub bub is with Aluminum and copper anyways. Aluminum conducts WAAAAYYYY better than copper.
            Sorry, electrical resistance is lower in copper, so copper is a better conductor as far as the base metal goes. But you may be correct in that a final design using Aluminum may be better than Copper when you factor in wire gauge used, etc. for cost/weight reasons...

So out of curiosity, what is copper and what is Al in my machine?

Comment

Yes copper has a lower resistance, but Aluminum is a better conductor. different animals.

Comment

I asked a Miller tech about this issue once and he said aluminum was actually better than copper in some respects for some components in a transformer welder (and not just cost). I can't remember why it was better...maybe different coefficients of expansion? or different increases in electrical resistivity for a given increase in temperature...? I forget...maybe a Miller tech will chime in here...

Comment

I prefer copper for the lower resistance, higher conductivity per same volume.

Copper also makes a superior heat sink for high end flashlights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electri...d_conductivity

http://t.answers.com/answers/#!/entr...67894753557b/1

http://www.geindustrial.com/publibra...pper%7Cgeneric

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.