Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spectrum 625 Ground Cable

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spectrum 625 Ground Cable

I was reading the Owners Manual for my Spectrum 625, I know - what a concept, and found on page 15 that the minimum Grounding Conductor Size is 10 AWG. My 625 has a 12 AWG Ground Cable.

So for you Miller Techs:

1. Is the Manual incorrect in specifying a 10 AWG cable or;

2. Was the incorrect size cable installed on my 625?

Miller is known for using wimpy grounding cables and clamps on their newer machines but this is interesting in that the cable supplied with the machine does not meet their printed specifications.

Work Clamp VS Ground clamp

The section you were reading in the manual is refering to the primary input power cable wich when it left the factory was a 10GA 3 conductor cable with a 6-50P plug on the end. The work clamp to wich I believe you are refering is a 6GA cable. If your machine is a Spectrum 625 and not a Spectrum 625X-TREME? On the Spectrum 625X-TREME the work cable is 12GA.But the primary power cable is still a 10 \ 3.

Comment

Manual

None the less I would still like to compliment you on reading the manual!!!

Comment

Thanks Tim: I now see how I mis-read this section. I do have a 625 EX-Treme which has a 12 AWG work cable.

Comment

Originally posted by Shark Bait View Post
          Thanks Tim: I now see how I mis-read this section. I do have a 625 EX-Treme which has a 12 AWG work cable.
          This is why reading the manual is a bad idea.

You read that a good ground is important with a plasma cutter, but the better ones seem to come with thinner cables.

Comment

Working...
          X
          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.