welding aluminum with the spoolmate 100

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welding aluminum with the spoolmate 100

I recently purchased a Millermatic 211, and also got the spoolmate 100 spool gun to try some aluminum welding. The welder works awesome on the steel projects i have done, but i cant seem to get the spoolgun to work like i want. I have a hard time getting a puddle to form, the wire seems to burn up before it hits the metal. I have tried the settings recommened on the machine, and tried extreme settings but it doesnt seem to change much. When i leave the wire out about 3/4", it seems to just dissapear when i pull the trigger. I used .030 5356 wire at first, but switched to .030 4043, which seems to be better in that i can sort of leave a bead, but still cant see a puddle or wire, just a glow. I am using 100 % argon gas. I am trying to weld 1/8" thick aluminum sheetmetals and sqare tubing. Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

Try turning the thickness to 3/8, & wfs to 100.

Comment

Not too familiar with that spoolmate but on a spoolmate 30 I think I ALWAYS start out with my voltage on 5 or so and keep my finger on the wire/amperage adjustment and start out with TOO much wire and then back it down. Also, make sure you are using 100% argon....NO C25....I almost always push the puddle with a spoolgun
      Originally posted by jhamm75 View Post
      I recently purchased a Millermatic 211, and also got the spoolmate 100 spool gun to try some aluminum welding. The welder works awesome on the steel projects i have done, but i cant seem to get the spoolgun to work like i want. I have a hard time getting a puddle to form, the wire seems to burn up before it hits the metal. I have tried the settings recommened on the machine, and tried extreme settings but it doesnt seem to change much. When i leave the wire out about 3/4", it seems to just dissapear when i pull the trigger. I used .030 5356 wire at first, but switched to .030 4043, which seems to be better in that i can sort of leave a bead, but still cant see a puddle or wire, just a glow. I am using 100 % argon gas. I am trying to weld 1/8" thick aluminum sheetmetals and sqare tubing. Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

This has been posted more than few times, try a search on the Spoolmate. It all comes down to a tip issue for this model.

Comment

It sounds like your wire feed is not high/fast enough. Also there is issues with the tips.
          MM250
          Trailblazer 250g
          22a feeder
          Lincoln ac/dc 225
          Victor O/A
          MM200 black face
          Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
          Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
          Arco roto-phase model M
          Vectrax 7x12 band saw
          Miller spectrum 875
          30a spoolgun w/wc-24
          Syncrowave 250
          RCCS-14

Comment

Wire feed speed check your manual what kind of wire speed they have on the newer units not as fast as they used to be don't ask me how I know.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. Ill do a search on the spoolgun.

Comment

460 Ipm on 211 auto set is tops I have a older 140 that will do 600 Ipm a little bit of difference the 140 has got plenty wire speed but not enough heat for aluminium millermatic 252 700 Ipm tops

Comment

I didn't have any problems with the tips provided.

AL can be frustrating - everything needs to be set up precisely, any minor change has a major effect😜

Push while welding al.
                  Stick out
                  Contact tip to work distance- the distance between the end of the wire and the work

Check the drive roll tension on the gun

Once arc is established you gotta boogety boogety as it is a lot faster than welding steel.

The bottle of Argon could be contaminated
                  Ed Conley
                  http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                  MM252
                  MM211
                  Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                  TA185
                  Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                  O/A set
                  SO 2020 Bender
                  You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Use 035 instead and up your speed if your using the 30
                    Syncrowave 250
                    Millermatic 210
                    dialarc 250
                    spectrum 375x
                    trailblazer 302
                    Lincoln 135

Comment

I've had the Spoolmate 100 for a few years now and use it with the Passport Plus. I have always had good results, but find that the factory recommended settings are not always the best, so do some experimenting. Also, are you prepping the aluminum with a stainless steel brush and cleaning solution? That will make a big difference in the puddle. Also be sure to always "push" the weld, as mentioned before.

Comment

Working...
                      X