Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

can't see the puddle mig welding

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't see the puddle mig welding

I'm not really mig welding that much as of right now but have tried it a few times in class. We're mostly stick welding but can also mig if we want. The times that I've tried it it seems like I'm just having to guess where the puddle is because the gun is in the way. Am I just holding it at the wrong angle or is it something that I just have to get used to? Any advice is appreciated.

All you have to do is move your head to a position where you can see the puddle, not right behind the gun. Most MIG guns are less than 1" wide so there is plenty of space either side to be able to see the puddle.

Comment

Alright, thank you. I guess I just haven't moved to the right position yet.

Comment

Adjust your cup depth to arc length you need so u can keep a exceptable distance between cup & puddle this also will help.
        If I want a tight arc or my wire & work require it I keep the tip flush with cup, that keeps cup away from puddle enough to see with a little adjustment of head eye angle.
        Likewise if need longer arc or hold off then I use longer cup to recess tip depending on wire & material etc.
        It is different than stick but a little practice & you'll be able to see fine. Hope helps.

Comment

Are you pulling (dragging) the gun or pushing? I have a hard time too when I'm pulling. While pushing there is no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by kvwall View Post
            Are you pulling (dragging) the gun or pushing? I have a hard time too when I'm pulling. While pushing there is no problem.
            +1, too.

Comment

Thanks guys, I tried it again today and just moved my head and the gun around. I can see fairly well when I tilt the gun to the side and move my head. Then I can see the wire and the puddle. I just gotta practice some more because the welds don't look all that pretty. Im really trying to get good at stick first (going pretty well) but I'd like to get some more experience with mig and hopefully some tig too.

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.