Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duty Cycle clarification

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duty Cycle clarification

Is heat build-up the only consideration with regards to a welding machine duty cycle? Can I put the machine in -25 celcius conditions and increase the duty cycle?

Yes, you can increase duty cycle by operating in a cooler environment. Only to a point though, X amount of amps still creates Y amount of heat. I think duty cycle is figured at 70 degrees or so.

Comment

Originally posted by walker View Post
      Yes, you can increase duty cycle by operating in a cooler environment. Only to a point though, X amount of amps still creates Y amount of heat. I think duty cycle is figured at 70 degrees or so.
      I agree for the first cycle. (Alert useless information follows) Just like many of the dinosaurs which were formerly thought to be cold blooded reptiles are now considered warm blooded because they lacked the surface area versus body mass to dissipate enough heat to to be cold blooded the components in your welder will reach their limit of dissipation also and overheat and thereby self-destruct if not prevented by thermal protection. Judicious application of heat sinks(if you could identify the proper components and reach them) coupled with the use of fans to move more air could extend your duty cycle. It might be a short term strategy in an emergency but if you need to weld at a capacity past the specs of your machine more than very rarely you need to get a more powerful machine.
      Meltedmetal
      Last edited by Meltedmetal; 02-22-2013, 05:57 AM. Reason: additional

Comment

Working...
      X
      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.