Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulsed MIG v. TIG

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulsed MIG v. TIG

I have a potential job that is a water tank,

The longest weld is 17" in length. Shortest weld is 7".
    95" of weld length in total.

Material is 3003 AL .125" thick.

This tank will be hidden too. And possibly powder coated.

From A speed standpoint MIG will be much faster IMO. TIG will produce a better
    looking weld.

My power sources are
    Synchrowave 250
    Invision 456 with Optima Pulser pendant

With this all said what process would you guys use?

Thanks guys.

Tom

My personal opinion, pulse is for people that can't weld correctly and want to cheat in order to make it look good.

Comment

Pulsed MIG v. TIG

Not sure I understand?
      If u can't weld and can make ur weld look good with pulse then if u can weld u can make a weld look great.
      But it's about Quality 1st. & foremost then speed, need to make profit or u wolnt be in business long. As for me I weld stick, O/A, mig, tig. Personally tig is my last choice just takes to long but sometimes it's the best or only choice.
      Likewise pulse is not always the best choice but it has its qualities also, u get great penetration with less heat & distortion. Also it is very fast. If its hidden & painted my choice is pulse mig. Take ur girl out for dinner with extra profit.

Comment

Originally posted by looking View Post
        My personal opinion, pulse is for people that can't weld correctly and want to cheat in order to make it look good.
        Most tank shops have gone from low speed tig to high speed pulse. Identical welds, identical penetration, actually better with the pulse Mig. I'm quite certain the welders know how to weld procedure pulse.

Comment

I am all about time. Looks are a factor but when the appearance is close to identical then pulse wins.

Thanks guys!

Tom

Comment

As for that comment, when you think about it for a minute it makes absolutely no sense as pointed out previously.

Now for the question at hand. I fab hydraulic tanks out of the same material and the same thickness. The name of the game is obviously the right combination between speed and quality (looks). With the pulsed mig, when done properly, you can get that "stack of dimes look" and still double your speed over TIG. Pulsed MIG is definately the way to go. IMO

Comment

Thanks Jim!

Comment

Pulsed MIG v. TIG

I'm rebuilding underground Reamers for local company. Welding 4130 alloy and a lot of 1" & 1-1/2 thick metal. I switched to pulse mig with dual metal wire. Very happy with results, much faster, in some areas cut my time by at least 25%.
                Great results, welds holding up as good or better than mig,
                Plus I don't need to switch wire as often, can just turn down and weld 1/8" with .045 wire better than straight mig. Just a no brainer for me, definitely increased my profit.

Comment

I'd probably tig weld it only because if I tig it theres almost no need to check it for leaks and we are only talking about 96" of weld.

On The other hand, I dont have a pulsed mig set up and dont know how good they work.
                  I have a push/ Pull set up which is a Cabra/Mig 260 which is a good set up for 1/4" and up, so so for 3/16 .

Comment

Bunch of cheaters

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...&submit=Search

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post

Just reading the first article from the link you shared. It clearly states the welders are lame and the company hires people who don't know how to control their heat and blow thru's I've several times welded .020 aluminum with not one issue. The idea behind this pulse welding is so that the employer can hire people that don't know much about welding thin metals and pay a low wage. The metal in that article was no thinner than .080. If one can't weld that crap and not have a blowout maybe they should look for a new career. Jmo

I was only stating my opinion not bashing the OP. Sorry to offend any of you guys that was not my intent.

Comment

You just gotta laugh when you get a "Professional" welder on here that has to give his opinion on something he knows nothing about.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.