Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

using airline quick disconnect for argon line?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using airline quick disconnect for argon line?

hey all

Is anyone using air line quick disconnects for argon lines? I decided to try some and wasn't sure how to test if they leak except for placing them in a bucket of water. I don't really see any bubbles. Would these leak over time? Or are they are pretty reliable? thanks

I made a video if anyone wants to see

I use Parker 200 series quick connects for my spoolgun/mig gun hook up. No problems over the 5 years i have had them on....Bob

Comment

Spray it with some soapy water to better check for leaks, watch for bubbles.

Comment

I have had them on my Dialarc for years with no problems or leaks, yes I am cheap,I had them, tried them and they work.

Comment

You can use them, Milton is a well known name brand verses the big box store ones.

However, they are not as good as say a western which is what I use and I have them on all my suit case feeders and torches so we are talking about 8 fittings over the last 21 years that I have been using them.

With the cost of mixed gas at around $ 45.00 its not worth it to me, Your better off bucking up and spending the money.

Comment

It takes less inert gas than you think, to make a life-threatening situation, especially in a small garage/shop. There is a reason some connectors are rated for air, others are rated for flammalble/oxidizer/inert gases. Use the correct connector for the purpose it was designed for.

Comment

Are those rated for that pressure

Comment

Mine is between the machine and the torch, low pressure and only under pressure when I am on the pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by Renagade View Post
                  Are those rated for that pressure
                  They are rated for 300psi

Comment

ok i'll check out those parker or milton

Comment

Originally posted by Bistineau View Post
                      Spray it with some soapy water to better check for leaks, watch for bubbles.
                      is that better than sticking it in a bucket of water like the video

Comment

YES, it will show up the smallest leak that may not be as obvious just being submerged in water. There is a surface tension in clean water and the soap breaks it down so the bubbles show up better. I had 2 tires that would leak down over about a 2 week period, low pressure 12 PSI tires, lawnmower. Water did not show where the leak was, I sprayed it with soapy water(after airing up the tire to 12PSI) and the whole tread area turned to foam from the very minute pinholes(thousands of them). I added SLIME the green stuff, and used the tires a few more years, no leaks for awhile.

Try this for a demonstration. Take a bowl of clean tap water and shake some black pepper over the surface of the water. Then take a bar of soap and touch the water on one side of the bowl. The pepper will move to the opposite side of the bowl away from the soap. The surface tension of the water was broken down by the soap. See if this works for YOU.

Comment

I use these for everything I love them they work great they never leak there not cheap but u only buy them once and good for life plus they are wide open full flow also work great on big air tools. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1jgsEpR...%3D1jgsEpRTMec

Comment

I am going with Joe calweld here. 2 things, simple is good, after a while one learns they dont need to add every gadget they ever invented to it and I want a screwed tightened fitting here like 99% of the rest of the world uses, no additional pieces with additional cost.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.