Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

TIG guys......feeding the filler technique?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIG guys......feeding the filler technique?

What do you guys use for feeding the filler through your fingers without having to pause and restart the arc? I am confident in my welds as long as I don't span more than 6-8" of filler because I am not steady enough to hold it much further out and I am not using proper technique to feed the wire through my gloves. I feel this is what separates a good tig welder from a really good tig welder. Dave

I hold the filler rod like a pencil, and use my thumb to feed the rod through my hand.

There are a couple of videos that Jody did at weldingtipsandtricks.com on aluminum TIG welding where he demonstrates a couple of techniques. Highly recommended.

Comment

I hold the filler rod like a pencil, and use my thumb to move the filler rod along.

There are a couple of Aluminum TIG welding videos at weldingtipsandtricks.com where Jody talks about the various methods of feeding filler rod. Highly recommended.

Comment

My excuse is I don't tig everyday so I don't get enough practice at feeding it. I just back off on the peddle to still keep a small arc so I don't lose my place. Then I push the back end of the rod against my body etc. to feed it through another 6-10" & pick up where I left off.

On the stuff I do I have found it doesn't matter if I can feed it smoothly or not.

Comment

I hold the filler rod like a pencil, and use my thumb to move the rod through my hand.

Look at some of the Aluminum TIG welding videos at weldingtipsandricks.com for some examples of techniques.

Highly recommended

Comment

Somebody here recommended sitting around with a glove on and practice. I have done that but you need an aiming point. I could feed pretty good then trying it for real the end of the filler wire was all over the place.

It does help tho.

Comment

The glove practice works a lot you just have to find the way that works best for you. I use the pencil method too expect I don't push with my thumb I hold with my thumb and use my index and middle finger to feed.

Comment

I have been tig welding for years and I'm with MMW. I usually let up on the pedal a bit and push mt wire against my shoulder or the front of my hood.

Comment

I do the same as bellboymotorsports. When I started I would practice feeding, with a tig glove on, while sitting in traffic on my way to work. I would feed 4" and push it back with the dash. I would only use about 10" of fill though. You could try this also. http://m.cyberweld.com/tigpen.html
                  It's a filler rod feeder. I tried it while learning how to feed. I like the thumb and 2 finger method better.
                  Kevin

Comment

I feed with my index and middle fingers, I use my thumb to put a constant slight pressure on the filler rod to keep it stable. I can tack weld 10' of filler together and weld a joint with it non stop. Saves a huge amount of time versus bumping the filler out with your shoulder ect.

Comment

The Tig Pen really helps too.

Comment

Try feeding the wire between your ring finger and your middle finger and slowly push with your thumb leave your index finger free. Also you can practice by taking pair of thin cloth gloves (brown jesery gloves you can buy at dollar general or a store) and start with a piece of 1/16 wire a full stick and start buy placing wire in between ring finger and middle finger and slightly make a C shape with your hand and slowly push rod with your thumb. Trust me it takes practice but if you have free time just practice and it time you will get the feel

Comment

Originally posted by jrscgsr View Post
                          I feed with my index and middle fingers, I use my thumb to put a constant slight pressure on the filler rod to keep it stable. I can tack weld 10' of filler together and weld a joint with it non stop. Saves a huge amount of time versus bumping the filler out with your shoulder ect.

I have a 4' X 16' fab table and I don't know what I would do with 10' of filler. I hope your Joking!!!! I just can't see wasting the time to tack 10' of filler together. Just my .02

Comment

Lol no I don't actually tack filler rods together. Just making a point. I have seen others weld and stop to bump out more filler rod, if you added up all the lost arc time it would be surprising, not to mention all the stops and starts in your welds.

Comment

Originally posted by jrscgsr View Post
                              Lol no I don't actually tack filler rods together. Just making a point. I have seen others weld and stop to bump out more filler rod, if you added up all the lost arc time it would be surprising, not to mention all the stops and starts in your welds.

Cool, I thought so. With a little practice it's not all that hard to get the hang of advancing the filler.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.