Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

magnisium

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• magnisium

need a little info. on welding magnesium. got a transfer case with pin holes it's magnesium thanks for any info.

Same as aluminum. Use magnesium filler

Comment

magnisium

Any chance this is the chevy pump rub issue? If so i got mine fixed just with some jb weld and a spacer plate. Been solid for over a year now

Comment

Originally posted by mike7466 View Post
        Any chance this is the chevy pump rub issue? If so i got mine fixed just with some jb weld and a spacer plate. Been solid for over a year now
        Did you do the merchant auto kit? How bad of a leak did your case have? Do you actually have to remove the case from the truck because it won't clear the crossmember that is right behind it? I've got an 06 lbz and I'll need to do this soon...

Comment

yea a guy brought it 3 bb size holes at out put shaft side in the locking notch's said chevy would not honor the fix. yeah has to be out to fix to clean oil out heated it with a small propane torch and wire brushed it clean welded good

Comment

Is there room to tap the holes and put screws in? Could save a lot of work if it can be done.
            Meltedmetal

Comment

magnisium

I believe the mechanic did pull the case off. Had to to intall a spacer plate inside so it quits rubbing. Mine was caught during an oil change and it must have just poked through. Maybe a diameter of 1/8 if that.

Comment

The cheapest magnesium filler I could find was $85 for a half pound from McMaster-Carr.

Comment

air gas was 97.00 for a #1 (minimum 12#) went to a shop and a great guy gave me 2 stick's

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.