Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.


  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aluminum TIG welds

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Aluminum TIG welds

    I don't have much experience with Tig welding aluminum. Can you guys look at them and help me a bit on how I can improve?
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Just from what I see without knowing your setup or parameters. It looks a little cold and not uniform, there are several spots in the last pic where the tungsten was contaminated or dipped in the weld puddle. Keep practicing to get your timing for dipping the filler into the leading edge of puddle and advancing the torch forward so that it is second nature and you don't need to think about it.
    When you sitting infront of the TV, throw a tig glove on your filler rod hand and practice feeding the wire until you can do it without a second thought. That and more arc time. You'll get the hang of it.

    Comment


    • #3
      ^^^^What he said.

      Comment


      • #4
        The machine is a diversion 180. Set at 180 amps. the material is 6x4x1/4" tube. I tried preheating the aluminum. I guess I needed more heat.

        Comment


        • #5
          Aluminum TIG welds

          looks like u need your machine cranked up maybe 10-20 more then u can run a little faster and it outta lay right in there bud

          Comment


          • #6
            Aluminum TIG welds

            Your welding machine is only rated for 3/16" aluminum. For 1/4" you need 190-220 amps. I would recommend getting some thinner sheet metal for practice.

            Comment


            • #7
              Did you bevel the pcs. first or just trying to butt weld them? Aluminum bridges very easily so it is easy to get a good looking weld on top with almost no penetration. Just something for you to watch out for.

              Comment


              • #8
                Aluminum TIG welds

                You need more HP and like MMW said be sure to bevel your but welds, it will not only allow for better penetration but will also help with the lack of power. Try cleaning the aluminum real well and raising the A/C bal, that will also help with lack of power.

                Comment


                • #9
                  You could try mixing some helium into your argon. Or rent a 75%argon/25%helium premix.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The material was beveled and brushed clean with a stainless brush. I am using 75/25 mix of helium. I just dont think the machine has the amps for 1/4".

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Preheat it to 600 if its your only means of trying to weld it. What is your tungsten type, tungsten grind, gas flow ect?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by aaronobrien View Post
                        The material was beveled and brushed clean with a stainless brush. I am using 75/25 mix of helium. I just dont think the machine has the amps for 1/4".
                        You might be right.
                        Are you venting your tubes?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by shovelon:302028
                          Originally posted by aaronobrien View Post
                          The material was beveled and brushed clean with a stainless brush. I am using 75/25 mix of helium. I just dont think the machine has the amps for 1/4".
                          You might be right.
                          Are you venting your tubes?
                          yes, the tubes are vented.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jrscgsr:302027
                            Preheat it to 600 if its your only means of trying to weld it. What is your tungsten type, tungsten grind, gas flow ect?
                            I did preheat it. Not sure if I made it to 600 or not. not sure of the tungsten type, the grind was a shiny "bulb" at the tip, until I hit it with my filler rod. gas flow..... I think 15 or 20, but I dont remember.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jrscgsr:301999
                              Just from what I see without knowing your setup or parameters. It looks a little cold and not uniform, there are several spots in the last pic where the tungsten was contaminated or dipped in the weld puddle. Keep practicing to get your timing for dipping the filler into the leading edge of puddle and advancing the torch forward so that it is second nature and you don't need to think about it.
                              When you sitting infront of the TV, throw a tig glove on your filler rod hand and practice feeding the wire until you can do it without a second thought. That and more arc time. You'll get the hang of it.
                              I tried a bit more today (didn't get any pics) but originally I was holding the torch with my right hand and feeding with my left. For some strange reason I set the torch down, and picked it up with my let hand and used my right to feed filler rod. It was SO much more comfortable and I think my welds were a lot better. Kinda strange. But I guess whatever works best for people.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.