Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

aluminum & bronze

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aluminum & bronze

any tips on welding bronze weldable hinges to aluminum post

Originally posted by weldumup View Post
    Pray.

Comment

Epoxy and then pray some more.

Comment

Lol bolt them on

Comment

You got me very curious how this would work... I just welded a piece of BRASS to aluminum with bronze silicate filler. AC hf straight argon. I assume if the bronze in the filler with work then your bronze hinges will work as well

Comment

Low fuming bronze does not work at all. Blew my cup into pieces soon as it touched

Comment

Video on brazing aluminum

Kent white is a huge promoter of oxy-acetylene use, including welding aluminum. He comes out of the restoration world. This video shows brazing aluminum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRWmpSE-hXk

The video does not say exactly what brazing rod he uses, but if you go to the tinman web site you should find it.

https://www.tinmantech.com/html/brazing.php

Richard

Comment

Aluminum's melting point is 650 celcius while bronze is around 950 celcius depending on alloy makeup.

This doesn't help the situation. The only way I see you getting the two stuck together is using silfos but your still likely to end up with a mess rather than a brazed joint.

Comment

aluminum and bronze welding

you got advice to bolt them and that is correct.
                  the reason is your trying to weld ferious metal to non ferious metal. that means carbon and non-carbon. . the key is they are not only different in structure but have different melting points. aluminun is strong yet it will, melt before the bronze.
                  so anyway thats that.

Comment

Originally posted by welding insp.48:301706
                    you got advice to bolt them and that is correct.
                    the reason is your trying to weld ferious metal to non ferious metal. that means carbon and non-carbon. . the key is they are not only different in structure but have different melting points. aluminun is strong yet it will, melt before the bronze.
                    so anyway thats that.
                    Bronze is NON FERROUS. MADE PRIMARILY FROM COPPER ALLOY. THE DIFFERENT MELTING POINTS CAN BE HELPFUL SINCE HE WILL BE PERFORMING A LAP WELD.... THE TOP PIECE "bronze hinges" ON A LAP WELD WILL TYPICALLY BURN BACK FASTER SO AS I SAID.... THAT MAY HELP THE WELDING PROCESS.

Comment

Originally posted by weldumup:301638
                      You can successfully make this weld with silicon bronze filler, AC HF, and a very clean weld surface. Or you could use self tapping screws, or pop rivets. I would use pop rivets if in the field and would weld it if able to in a shop.

Comment

I don't know about welding, but you can use aluminum brazing rod and flux and an O/A torch to attach the hinges to the post.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.