Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soda can welding....

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soda can welding....

I was tinkering with this last night and would like to some more. I was able to get the cans joined and some filler in there but the problem was contamination. What's the best way to cleann the cans? I used coke zero cans and a wire wheel to remove the coating. I think a chemical would do it better? Was very difficult to establish a "clean" puddle. Dave

There are a couple youtube videos you can watch.

Comment

The inside of the pop cans are coated also, its very had to get a contamination free weld with pop cans

Comment

You'll have better luck with beer cans. Once you empty enough of them you won't care anymore!

Comment

Probably best off with the brush. The chemical you would need to get that coating off would be pretty "heavy duty" and probably hard to find. Think about how corrosive coke is. At our fire department we use it to clean blood and oil off of the roads after a car accident, works better than you think

Frank

Comment

Your asking in the wrong place. You need to ask the guy at the flea market with the special aluminum rods.

Comment

I welded some DP cans, the coating inside causes a problem, if you can get a clean drop of weld started, you should be able to get around it.

http://mob854.photobucket.com/albums...dpopcan003.jpg

Comment

Pop Can welding

Hi You can weld two pop cans together with TIG. Turn down your amps as low as you can and use pure argon. weld them bottom to bottom. Clean with a new wire brush and only use it for aluminum. Clean with acetone. Post the picks on here when your finished. Visit youtube or visit weldingtipsandtricks.com Jody is a great goto with questions and has a ton of videos.

Comment

At $ .10 a peice I find that its way easier to throw them out than to weld them.

Comment

I used a scotchbrite wheel and then acetone, which worked great.

I also tried a wire wheel and it embedded paint deep into the surface.

Comment

thx attempt two tomorrow
                      Originally posted by shovelon View Post
                      I used a scotchbrite wheel and then acetone, which worked great.

I also tried a wire wheel and it embedded paint deep into the surface.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.