Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

thunderbolt wiring set up

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thunderbolt wiring set up

hey all new guy here, the other day i picked up a thunderbolt xl to practice my bead and build random stuff around the house. big question is. what wire do i need to run to feed the 220 outlet i need to install? 6/3 or 8/3. and can i use the same wire to make an extension cord?

what you do is find the amps required to run the welder, its on the id plate, go to an electrical parts store, they wuill hook you up with the right size, also there is a type of electric cord used for extension cords, you can use that for the wire to the plug but its more costly

Comment

so dont use 6/3 or 8/3 to make a extension cord? i suck with electricity...

Comment

The 6/ and the 8/ are sizes of wire 6 being larger and more expensive. The /3 is how many conductors in the cable that you are buying. What kevin was saying is that you need to find the current on your machine to determine the size of wire then go to the store to buy it. Likely a NMD90 cable for in the garage up to the plug because it is cheapest. But for an extension cord you will have to buy a cable, of the same size, that is rated to be an extension cord. Something like a SOOW, SJOOW. The guys at the hardware store will know, just bring the current you need and explain what you are trying to do and they will hook you up

Frank

Comment

Guys aat hwd stores do not all know,,, but that machine needs a number 10 cable or better and 10 is fine for the cord.

Comment

Originally posted by jdcollins86 View Post
            so dont use 6/3 or 8/3 to make a extension cord? i suck with electricity...
            Yes and No.

Wiring for the receptacle will actually be 6/2 or 8/2 or 10/2.

Although there will be 3 wires they do not count the Ground wire in the name.

So if you were to ask for 6/3 wire you will get 4 wires and you only need 3

Extension cord or power cords for machines : all of the wires inside the jacket of the cord are counted. So a 6/3 extension cord will have 3 wires inside of it.

Do not use the wall wiring for an extension cord. Since you mentioned you suck with electricity , are you going to do the receptacle wiring?

Comment

thanks for the clarification im going to call a electrician. i was looking at the panel and i have no room so i guess what im going to have to do is get to tandems breakers to free up a spot for a 220.

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.