Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blowing TIG hoses

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blowing TIG hoses

Anyone have issues with their TIG powerlead blowing holes near the machine, spewing coolant everywhere? Just breached my fourth hose in two weeks, no idea whats going on. Cleaned the coolant strainer, going to pull the whole reseviour/ radiator today to clean, troubleshoot. Been running pretty high amperage lately but never had a problem with it before. Syncrowave 250DX/CK200/CK300
    Not stoked! Any help will be much appreciated, thanks.

Originally posted by metalslayer View Post
    Anyone have issues with their TIG powerlead blowing holes near the machine, spewing coolant everywhere? Just breached my fourth hose in two weeks, no idea whats going on. Cleaned the coolant strainer, going to pull the whole reseviour/ radiator today to clean, troubleshoot. Been running pretty high amperage lately but never had a problem with it before. Syncrowave 250DX/CK200/CK300
    Not stoked! Any help will be much appreciated, thanks.
    Obviously you have a blockage or motor stoppage.

Check the flow coming out of the torch, and consider putting Ck fuseblocks on your power cable in case of motor stoppage.

My guess is your motor is overheating and the thermal overload switch is tripping leaving an air pocket in your power cable because coolant is not flowing.
    Last edited by shovelon; 02-06-2013, 09:21 AM.

Comment

That or you have them hooked up backwards which is more likely. Both waters have the same thread, though one is high pressure and one is drain. If you get em backwards. the hoses will blow...

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
        That or you have them hooked up backwards which is more likely. Both waters have the same thread, though one is high pressure and one is drain. If you get em backwards. the hoses will blow...
        Hoses are hooked up correctly, one is reversed thread. I've been running this machine for over two years now and just started seeing this issue. Weird.

Oh, whoops. I see what you mean. Yes both are threaded the same, and hooked up correctly... thanks.
        Last edited by metalslayer; 02-06-2013, 12:15 PM.

Comment

How would you suggest I check the flow, unplug the return and turn the machine on? Not sure..
          And how can I confirm the motor is over heating?
          Thanks.

Comment

How would you suggest I check the flow, unplug the return and turn the machine on? Not sure..
            And how can I confirm the motor is over heating?
            Thanks.
            You could unscrew the big power cable nut at the machine, and turn on.

The only way to confirm if the pump motor is overheating is to watch for it. Are there fan louvers to tape strands of paper over?

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
              I always wondered about that.

Why would they blow?

Comment

Blowing TIG hoses

I could not see why it would blow if it was backwards flow is flow right ? As long as it don't stop ? Sorry to jack your thread

Comment

Unhook the return at the cooler and turn it on with the return held over the refill on the cooler. If its slow something is restricting flow. I've had coolmate 4's oxidize the copper heat sinc tubing inside and flake off which reduced flow considerably, have also had algae build up do the same thing

Comment

Blowing TIG hoses

Jrscgsr has that happened to your coolmate ? When I first hooked mine up I did the same thing as jrscgsr said with return line and see what happens should work like a dream on the other hand I have seen some pretty dirty coolent before I had melted one line my self and

Comment

Well, the idea is to cool the head first and arc cable second. If you try to cool the arc cable first, the water has to sit there get super heated before it gets to the torch head due the resistance of the water entering the cable with the current carrying cable. Where as if the cables are connected right, the return pressure is at the torch head.

Comment

Originally posted by shovelon View Post
                        You could unscrew the big power cable nut at the machine, and turn on.

The only way to confirm if the pump motor is overheating is to watch for it. Are there fan louvers to tape strands of paper over?
                        Think I've got it figured out, flushed the whole system multiple times. Lots of algae and flakes of crusty hose fittings that plug into the top of the reseviour. Everything seems to be flowing normally now. Dave @ Miller tech was a big help.

Comment

Originally posted by mikesystem View Post
                          I could not see why it would blow if it was backwards flow is flow right ? As long as it don't stop ? Sorry to jack your thread
                          No worries!

Comment

Anyone have experience with using a 'braided rubber' power lead? I think I've got my flow issues worked out, but I'm still running pretty high heat (310A) and don't want to buy anymore vinyl hoses. Seems the braided rubber may be a bit tougher... or is there something better?

Also, the clear housing for the coolant strainer recently turned milky white. I'm at a loss...? Anyone? Only thing I changed was going from Low-Conductive coolant to Distilled water. Weird.

Thanks for everyones help.

Comment

Anyone have experience with using a 'braided rubber' power lead? I think I've got my flow issues worked out, but I'm still running pretty high heat (310A) and don't want to buy anymore vinyl hoses. Seems the braided rubber may be a bit tougher... or is there something better?

Also, the clear housing for the coolant strainer recently turned milky white. I'm at a loss...? Anyone? Only thing I changed was going from Low-Conductive coolant to Distilled water. Weird.

Thanks for everyones help.
                              I use the rubber hoses with the braided sheath. I love them and is worth running because of the flexibility. But beware, the braided sheath breaks down right where they come out of the torch handle from rubbing. I beef them up with fray-check or shoe-goo.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.