Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting from the ground up what do I need to mig weld SS

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting from the ground up what do I need to mig weld SS

I'm a structural steel welder used to welding with .075 flux core wire and 100% co2 gas.Now I want to start making custom SS automotive parts but I'm not sure what I need to get started.

You will want a TIG for those parts. I am afraid a MIG isn't going to give you the look you want...Bob

Comment

Not so concerned with looks as I am with strength.For example I have an idea for making a custom front k-member and I want to make it out of SS tubing.I want the welds to be as strong as possible because an on the road fail would be really bad.One problem I have is no tig experience all I know is mig is it possible to mig weld this project or should I hold off until I learn to tig weld.

Comment

mig ss

it is possible to weld ss using mig. the thickness of the stainless is the key to your answer. if is is thin,like 1/8 or 3 mm,then tig is perfered.
        there are different grades of ss as well. so the wire should match up. the material thickness will deside, your wire size used.
        in using mig ss wire for welding you may also use a push weld. that is, if your right handed move the nozzel right to left at about.10 to 15 degrees.
        in mig, different gases like blue shield 8 or argon maybe better?
        the best thing to do is take a course in stainless steel welding.

Comment

You can use mig or tig depending on the exact application. Maybe you can design/fit/jig & just hire someone to tig if that's the route you want to take.

Be aware that if you plan on fabricating & selling "on road" parts the insurance will be very high if you can even get any being a one man operation.

Comment

Well is seems that I have a lot more research to do and training It was a cool idea but now talking about I don't think I'm ready to start gathering materials until I learn more...thanks for the advice everyone

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.