Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

pipe welding help/suggestions

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pipe welding help/suggestions

Im welding 2" sch 80, 6G Position
    I seem to be having trouble keeping the key hole, not in the terms of loosing it but it gets away on me!!(too large)
    I am using 1/8 6010 running about 85 amps with the arc force up too stiff on my
    TB 302.
    PIPE is set with 1/8 gap,1/16 root face, I have tried whipping and just shoving the rod in, It makes a perfect hollow pipe hiss but all of a sudden boom large key hole!
    Going to try a feather edge and drop my amps too around 75,and set arc force to soft to see how that goes!!
    Any and all suggestions/Tips will be appreciated,

Try closing the gap down to about 1/16.

Comment

I try to use 3/32 gap and turn your amps down that's a little pipe

Comment

I always do heavy land like 1/8+ and 3/32 gap and crank the heat up to like 90-100 ish and get moving. If you try a feather edge it will just blow open faster. Unless you try feather edge and tight together. Play with gap ,face and heat till you like it

Comment

Your gap and land is way out. 1/16 gap and a 3/32 land about 80-90 amps arc force 60%.
          Push the rod in and drag it up little to no key hole.that will give you excellent results the rest is left up to your skill as the welder , rod angle pressure on the rod etc. hope this helps you out.

Comment

Originally posted by maharg View Post
            Your gap and land is way out. 1/16 gap and a 3/32 land about 80-90 amps arc force 60%.
            Push the rod in and drag it up little to no key hole.that will give you excellent results the rest is left up to your skill as the welder , rod angle pressure on the rod etc. hope this helps you out.
            Thanks everyone,, I tried a few different things this morn,, I also realized that the sch 80 pipe I bought and made into coupons is only 1/4" thick, not 3/8" like it is suppose to be,, also the bevel is a little sharper than the heavy wall...But not a excuse.. i ran root at 65 amps,arc force at 50% and 7018 at 95 amps arc force at 25% seemed to go ok,,,, all 1/8 elctrodes would like to use 3/32 for that small pipe but test calls for 1/8
            I do however have one TSSA coupon, so I will give it a try at 80-90 amp and 60%arc force,, those settings are where i like to be....
            I also did a few with tig root and tig all out,, they went flawless!
            The Tig off the TB I think is great,,, My opinion only!!

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.