Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

welded cast alum. with fluxcore

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welded cast alum. with fluxcore

Hey guys, I've been told that you can't weld aluminum with flux core wire.welded some yesterday with my Hobart E-Z 125. Set on 90 amps. Anyone ever heard of doing that? What else could I weld with it?

I've never heard of aluminum flux cored wire.

Comment

it is dependant on what the flux core is but yes there is alum flux core wire. HOWEVER it is for brazing/soldering applications not "mig" welding, as far as i know/ can find.

Comment

What kind of wire? Just because you were able to strike an arc and get a bright light doesn't mean it was a good weld...

Comment

I never knew anything besides for tig for cast aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by Country Metals View Post
            I never knew anything besides for tig for cast aluminum.
            Spool gun for me...Bob

Comment

Add Content

Comment

it held somehow

Used regular flux core .30 wire, don't remember specs. It hel up to a snow quench while it was red hot. And withstood impacts that the casting could , no break, no fail. By all means it was not a pretty weld.

Comment

How do you get aluminum red hot?

Comment

This thread makes my brain hurt. Please put down the whip and step away before someone gets hurt

Comment

Are you sure this is cast "aluminum" and not cast "iron" , "steel" or ductile iron?

Comment

What did he just say red hot aluminum ??? Wow lots of talanted guys out there

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                          Spool gun for me...Bob
                          I'll refraze my previous statement. I only know of tig for small cast aluminum repairs. I have used a spool gun before but that would have taken me 3 days to tig vs 6 hours mig.

Comment

Yeah for sure it's aluminum. It was a broken snow cleat for roofing. Don't know how or why it welded with flux core gas less wire, but it did. As far as getting red hot, 90 amps and a few minutes welding pretty much got it there. It sure befuzzles me too.

Comment

Yeah mike, just caught what I said . Not "red hot". Lol. Way too hot to touch.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.