Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller Legend P218G, cranks but won't start.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Legend P218G, cranks but won't start.

Hi fellow welders. I have a Miller Legend P218G. Owned it since it was new in 1993. It will crank but won't start. The solenoid is inoperative but will activate when power is applied to it. No spark either. Any suggestions?

It's a good possibility the coil has gone out, causing the no spark condition. That would be a good place to start looking, it's also possible the spark plug itself finally laid down. If it's the original plug, it's probably past due to be changed anyway. Install a new coil and spark plug and see what you got. You can get the parts cheaper at a local small engine shop that deals with the brand of engine on it rather than the local welding supply/Miller dealer. Just have the engine model and serial number handy when you call to ask about the parts.

Comment

thank you Bistineay will do today.

Originally posted by Bistineau View Post
      It's a good possibility the coil has gone out, causing the no spark condition. That would be a good place to start looking, it's also possible the spark plug itself finally laid down. If it's the original plug, it's probably past due to be changed anyway. Install a new coil and spark plug and see what you got. You can get the parts cheaper at a local small engine shop that deals with the brand of engine on it rather than the local welding supply/Miller dealer. Just have the engine model and serial number handy when you call to ask about the parts.
      Thanks for your input. Noticed mouse nest after I pulled off all the covers but no evidence of any chewed off wires. Spark plugs are not original but will replace anyway. Everything else is original from '93. It has been a babied Legend living indoors and a backup for a solar installation with about 2500 hours on the meter. Will dig in more today. thanks again.

Comment

coil resistance test

Originally posted by LBourque1 View Post
        Thanks for your input. Noticed mouse nest after I pulled off all the covers but no evidence of any chewed off wires. Spark plugs are not original but will replace anyway. Everything else is original from '93. It has been a babied Legend living indoors and a backup for a solar installation with about 2500 hours on the meter. Will dig in more today. thanks again.
        Did a resistance test on the coil across the "+" and "-" terminals and the spark plug terminals and all are within specified range.
        Getting a funny reading on the battery though. Has anyone ever had a battery with reversed posts. The "+" seem to be giving me a "-" reading. Have checked it with other battery and testers and wonder how it could happen, will get a new battery today as the old one is from 2007.

Comment

Reversed polarity at the coil will fry the ignition module located behind the flywheel. Posted the test procedure in your thread over on WeldingWeb.
          http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=242371

Comment

Battery reverse polarity

Originally posted by duaneb55 View Post
            Reversed polarity at the coil will fry the ignition module located behind the flywheel. Posted the test procedure in your thread over on WeldingWeb.
            http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=242371
            Went to purchase a new battery yesterday and asked the salesperson to test the battery I brought in from the Legend, the poles were reversed. The Legend did turn over but without any spark. Have all the shrouds off now and will try the new battery to see where to go next. Testing the ignition module and replacing the condenser are on my "to do" list for tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.