Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

MM 250X Who has info on reliability,etc.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MM 250X Who has info on reliability,etc.

I am new here , so bear with me..
    I have the opportunity to get a (used, very little) miller matic 250X Mig Welder..

I would like to get some ideas on the good, the bad, and the uglies about this machine.

I can get it from a gentleman(neighbor) that bought it in 1999 and hasn't had hardly any use..

I'm certainly not a certified welder,but am dangerous enough to get by...
    Anyway, I know that 250$ is a Steal on this machine..He gave over $1900 in 1999.

I would appreciate any ideas on what trouble(if any) to expect from it..Thanks a lot to all..Trav.

For 250 there really is no question. If it works that's a steal.

Comment

Originally posted by Cgotto6 View Post
      For 250 there really is no question. If it works that's a steal.
      It works perfectly..Good enough that when I welded with it, It made me look I knew what I was doing...Thank You...Trav

Comment

Buy it!

Comment

Originally posted by truckertrav View Post
          I am new here , so bear with me..
          I have the opportunity to get a (used, very little) miller matic 250X Mig Welder..

I would like to get some ideas on the good, the bad, and the uglies about this machine.

I can get it from a gentleman(neighbor) that bought it in 1999 and hasn't had hardly any use..

I'm certainly not a certified welder,but am dangerous enough to get by...
          Anyway, I know that 250$ is a Steal on this machine..He gave over $1900 in 1999.

I would appreciate any ideas on what trouble(if any) to expect from it..Thanks a lot to all..Trav.
          It better be in your garage!!!!!!!

Comment

Done Deal

I called today and made the deal....I will pick it up Mon or Tues.. going out of town to see grandkids this weekend...

Thanks for the replies, everyone...Trav..

Comment

The only major issue , I remember there being with this machine is with the hot start. It makes it a poor .023 sheet metal unit. If you do a search on this Forum you should find posts from a Miller expert (Kevin if I'm remembering correctly) on how to by-pass the hot start feature by tapping into the circuit board and adding an on/off toggle switch that would allow you to turn the hot start feature on or off.

Some people aren't very found of the arc characteristics or somewhat sluggish weld puddle wet out too.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                The only major issue , I remember there being with this machine is with the hot start. It makes it a poor .023 sheet metal unit. If you do a search on this Forum you should find posts from a Miller expert (Kevin if I'm remembering correctly) on how to by-pass the hot start feature by tapping into the circuit board and adding an on/off toggle switch that would allow you to turn the hot start feature on or off.

Some people aren't very found of the arc characteristics or somewhat sluggish weld puddle wet out too.
                Danny, thank you for the info...I will check into that and make the modification or whatever else updates might be needed..

This machine will not be used for anything less than 1/8 inch steel..I have a smaller machine for that.....

Mainly, repairs on utility trailers(our own), farm equipment, stuff like that..

I am just a rookie (although an old one), when it comes to pretty welds..so not looking customer approved is not an issue...

I really appreciate the comments and suggestions...

Maybe, in due time, I will get better at welding..Trav..

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.