Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auto Dark: OK For extreme cold?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Dark: OK For extreme cold?

just wondering if the auto dark helmet i have would be sufficient for cold weather (ie. fort mac alberta) or will the cold kill her and force me to use a fixed shade

jackson sells an auto darkening helmet specifically for cold weather. It's different from their "normal autodarken" helmets. My NexGen is only "rated" by Jackson for somewhere in the 25 degree F neighborhood for the bottom end.

Comment

But I also don't think their extreme cold auto darkening lens is rated for sub zero if I remember right.

Comment

It's all good, I've used my miller elite and my airstream 3M in temp of as low as -35 without a problem.

Comment

thanks good to know, hopefully i can stick with my miller then

Comment

same here - 35 and colder with my miller.

Comment

Auto Dark: OK For extreme cold?

Speedglas -20 for 8hours

Comment

Just lean into the bead to warm it up. lol I have used my elite down to 10 degrees any colder then that the hood is not the only thing thats not going to be workin.

Comment

How do you deal with the inside fogging up? I've tried antifog spray but then the fog just turns to moisture on the lens.

Comment

I've only gone down to about 0. I direct my breathing away from the lens. Seems to work. One more thing to think about, but effective.
                    Last edited by elvis; 01-30-2013, 10:40 PM.

Comment

I've found mine slow to switch to dark when its really cold and I strike an arc. I usually close my eyes for a split second when I strike the arc so I don't get flashed. Using a miller elite.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.