Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbon build in heating tips!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon build in heating tips!

Hi All,
    My first time on here, glad to be here. I work in a "communal" shop and need some advice on how to clean the carbon build up out of a medium size Victor heating tip. The tip is 11 inch long over all and has 6 holes in the end (just for reference).
    I believe, that people who come through the shop and use the tip when I am out are turning the oxygen off first and letting the acetylene burn back. I know that I always add a touch of oxy when I light the torch and turn down both gases before turning off the acetylene first. However, I am still seeing substantial carbon build up within the feeder tube of the tip. from one end to the other.
    First question: Am I doing something wrong, or missing something?
    Second question: Any good ideas of how to get the carbon out of the inside of a tip like this? I am unscrewing the tip head, and using bottle brushes, and pipe cleaners, and tip cleaners where ever they work and blowing the carbon out with compressed air. Any thoughts??
    Thanks!!!
Working...
X
Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.