Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flux core spatter

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flux core spatter

I'm running 100% CO2 at this time so i know I'm gonna get a ton of spatter. But I'm doing horizontal and I'm having to clean my nozzle/contact tip after every 2 beads or so (only about 16"worth of welding) because it sticks to the metal and messes me up. I haven't played with flux core very much. Am I doing something wrong or is this fairly normal?

Nozzle dip/flux whatever they call it. It works wonders.

Comment

What brand and type of wire are you using. Most brand name wires like esab and lincoln offer a low spatter wire.
      What angle are you holding your nozzle at in relation to the work piece? That will make a huge difference in the amount of spatter that comes off the arc.

Comment

Check your parameters as you should not be getting "a ton of splatter" with gas shielded flux core wire.

If this is innershield wire (flux core no gas) then you shouldn't be running gas with it & you most likely should be running dc -.

Comment

stay in your puddle, check voltage, gas flow will be 25-35 cfh depending on wire manufacture. Most FCAW-GS runs DCEP.

Comment

Maybe turn your wire speed down a tad. Watch how you hold the gun make sure the nozzle is 90 degrees to your work or you will blow spatter to the back side. I weld with .045 gas flux core everyday....Bob

Comment

I do a lot of welding with flux cored wire. And can tell you from experience you should be getting very little splatter if set up correctly.
              What machine are you running?
              What direction are you welding ?
              What settings?

Comment

I'm running a miller...um... Not sure what model haha I'll have to check. But 25.5v at about 300 ipm. Gas at 25-30 cfh. My gun angle is mostly a drag with a slight upward angle.

Comment

Oh and with Hobart 71T-1C

Comment

Try 26.5 to 27 at around 400 for wire speed.

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                      Maybe turn your wire speed down a tad. Watch how you hold the gun make sure the nozzle is 90 degrees to your work or you will blow spatter to the back side. I weld with .045 gas flux core everyday....Bob
                      Why do you use .045, is it thin material? I use 1/16 most of the time. I find little use with 045 if the material is 1/2 or thicker.

Comment

U ain't suppose to use gas with flux coref wire. It aint dual shield.

Comment

Flux core spatter

Uh ya it is dual shield

Comment

Originally posted by eecervantes83 View Post
                            U ain't suppose to use gas with flux coref wire. It aint dual shield.
                            Really ???

Comment

Its called dial shield because of the gas acting as the second shielding agent... Hence the name dual shield. Most flux core is gas shielded actually.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.