Cutting fluid that won't freeze?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting fluid that won't freeze?

I am looking at buying a cheap 8in bandsaw with a cooling oil setup on. My question is is there a water soluble cutting oil that I can use that won't freeze? Or something I can do to the cutting oil that will make it not freeze?

Just get the RV antifreeze and add to your coolant as you would your car. I say the RV stuff because it is more "enviromentaly correct"

Comment

Won't the antifreeze cause the oil to separate from the water? That is what I was told by a couple of guys out this way.

Comment

Check with manufacture of band saw if required. I know ELLIS saws do not require and cutting fluid.

Comment

I just stir it from time to time, it never has done me wrong.

Comment

This saw needs it. The manufacturer just replied and told me to put it in a heated shop. I will only have a non heated trailer for it to live in. I will try the rv antifreeze idea if it hasn't been a problem for you guys. What ratio should I run it at with soluble oil?

Comment

can pick up a pan heater for a car. they are magnetic and work really well just put on the out side of the tank and your good to go.

heres what i use on my hydmech 20

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AGI...de=TMR340-0017
              trail blazer 302
              hypertherm plasma
              millermatic 251
              high feq. arc starter
              suit case (extreme 12vs)
              o/a torches
              way to many other tools to list

Comment

I was thinking about that but I would have to let a generator run 24x7 to power it. I don't have the luxury of a shop with power or heat either.

Comment

Arc, how big is your coolant tank? This is a very good thread, because I'm sure there are plenty of us that only heat our shops when we work in them. What brand-type of coolant do you use?

Comment

i use MOBILCUT 102 in our saw and for most drilling applications. the tank on the saw holds about 3-4 gallons.
                    trail blazer 302
                    hypertherm plasma
                    millermatic 251
                    high feq. arc starter
                    suit case (extreme 12vs)
                    o/a torches

Comment

Does the pan heater work in extreme cold? It's been around 0 and below with the windchill.

Comment

RV antifreeze will gel if it gets cold enough. It wont freeze solid but it will gel and you dont want that with a band saw.
                        Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig Miller Bluestar 2E Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Torchmate CNC table Ironworker Welder Operating engineer Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

Comment

I m having the same thoughts about freezing I just got a 7x12 band saw and 6 lengths of 2.25 inch round and 7 lengths of 1.5 inch round. It's been -7to -14 here and I soon got to cut my steel to fill my order.
                          I was thinking about mixing wind sheld washer fluid and water until it has a freezing point of -16 then adding my Walter cool cut and retesting it to keep it around the -16 freezing point

Comment

At what point will the RV antifreeze start to jell up? It's gonna be - 20 again here tonight?

Comment

as for the pan heater working in the cold its kept the fluid warm in -40 Celsius.
                              trail blazer 302
                              hypertherm plasma
                              millermatic 251
                              high feq. arc starter
                              suit case (extreme 12vs)
                              o/a torches

Comment

Working...
                              X