Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutting fluid that won't freeze?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting fluid that won't freeze?

I am looking at buying a cheap 8in bandsaw with a cooling oil setup on. My question is is there a water soluble cutting oil that I can use that won't freeze? Or something I can do to the cutting oil that will make it not freeze?

Just get the RV antifreeze and add to your coolant as you would your car. I say the RV stuff because it is more "enviromentaly correct"

Comment

Won't the antifreeze cause the oil to separate from the water? That is what I was told by a couple of guys out this way.

Comment

Check with manufacture of band saw if required. I know ELLIS saws do not require and cutting fluid.

Comment

I just stir it from time to time, it never has done me wrong.

Comment

This saw needs it. The manufacturer just replied and told me to put it in a heated shop. I will only have a non heated trailer for it to live in. I will try the rv antifreeze idea if it hasn't been a problem for you guys. What ratio should I run it at with soluble oil?

Comment

can pick up a pan heater for a car. they are magnetic and work really well just put on the out side of the tank and your good to go.

heres what i use on my hydmech 20

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AGI...de=TMR340-0017

Comment

I was thinking about that but I would have to let a generator run 24x7 to power it. I don't have the luxury of a shop with power or heat either.

Comment

Arc, how big is your coolant tank? This is a very good thread, because I'm sure there are plenty of us that only heat our shops when we work in them. What brand-type of coolant do you use?

Comment

i use MOBILCUT 102 in our saw and for most drilling applications. the tank on the saw holds about 3-4 gallons.

Comment

Does the pan heater work in extreme cold? It's been around 0 and below with the windchill.

Comment

RV antifreeze will gel if it gets cold enough. It wont freeze solid but it will gel and you dont want that with a band saw.

Comment

I m having the same thoughts about freezing I just got a 7x12 band saw and 6 lengths of 2.25 inch round and 7 lengths of 1.5 inch round. It's been -7to -14 here and I soon got to cut my steel to fill my order.
                          I was thinking about mixing wind sheld washer fluid and water until it has a freezing point of -16 then adding my Walter cool cut and retesting it to keep it around the -16 freezing point

Comment

At what point will the RV antifreeze start to jell up? It's gonna be - 20 again here tonight?

Comment

as for the pan heater working in the cold its kept the fluid warm in -40 Celsius.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.