Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

pipeline

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pipeline

I want to become a pipeline welder and don't really have any information on it. Like what kind of certifications do I need and how to get into it?

pipeline

I wouldn't mind getting info as well !

Comment

Originally posted by skidder13 View Post
      I want to become a pipeline welder and don't really have any information on it. Like what kind of certifications do I need and how to get into it?
      If you dont know anything about it, how do you know you want to do it.

Comment

welding experience? any welding tickets? USA or Canada? to be honest if you have no welding experience or no tickets the apprenticeship route is the way to go. there is so much more to welding than just striking an arc and making money.

Comment

Originally posted by arc View Post
          there is so much more to welding than just striking an arc and making money.
          You have to also remember to put your helmet down before welding.

The best course I would say is to call local shops around and see about getting in as an apprentice.

Comment

lol very true Country Metals but i have see guys first had over in Asia welding with news paper for a face shield first hand so might not need a helmet per say.... not that i would recommend it in any way shape or form......

Comment

pipeline

I have some welding experience! I work at a truck ship and am the main welder over there! I also go to school for power mechanics and fabrication! What I do know is it is all up hill verticals welding! Laying in a ditch all day everyday lots of traveling and everything has to be X-ray quality it is strenuous and I want to do it! Kinda a dream I guess and I am gunna chase it! I am 17 and graduate in 4and a half months! So much info needed thanks

Comment

Originally posted by skidder13 View Post
                You approach people who do that for living and respectfully ask them what is going on and where do you go for more information. If they tell you to blow it out your butt, then work on your presentation.

Comment

are you in the states or up here in canada? that will make a huge difference on how you can go about getting your certs.

Comment

as for welding pipe on the line most times it will be done with 7010 (hippie) rod down hill... some is done with 7018 but main line for the most part it is not with 7018. as alot of pipe is welded with 7018 it is really moving to wire process now, at least around here (Alberta) even out in the field. with the movement to wire there is a whole different set of certs needed it also depends on procedures set but the company you would be working for also.... but a safe bet up here is once you are a journeyman welder you test for you B-pressure ticket with an f-4 electrode in the 6G position. after that go get whatever tickets needed to meet procedures needed. (this is Alberta only) for each province it is different and from what i remember it maybe a little different state to state also... alot of the tests are the same they just are called some thing different and awarded form different governing bodies.

Comment

[QUOTE=skidder13;300 Laying in a ditch all day [/QUOTE]

Mainline pipelines aren't built in a ditch, they are welded on skids on the bank.
                      Tie-ins/test headers/ect ARE made in the ditch.

Anybody that fancies a life on the pipeline (in the United States of America) is best (by far) served to work as a welders helper and learn the terminology and what's expected of the welder.
                      From there, the progression to welder is only hindered by your ability to weld to the requirements in the short time alloted.

So the real answer is, hire out as a helper. It's certainly not for everyone and first hand experience will reveal that to you.

J

Comment

pipeline

Thanks guys I'm in the states to be exact ohio. All I have right now is just experience welding some pipe and welding on trucks. A community college near me has a pipeline welding class. will that give me any experience and terminology? I know very few guys who weld on pipelines. So finding one and asking them is slim to none!

Comment

well not quite sure on all the certs you need down there. but in my experience it wouldn't hurt to take the course at the collage. it will give you a idea of what will be expected out on the line as for weld quality. after you go to the collage and complete the coarse find the pipe line companies in your area and apply for a helpers helper position. with the knowledge you have learned from the collage you would be a great helper to a welder on the line and get to know how it works out there. it wont take long before you are welding main line pipe with the best knowledge and experience from the bottom up. some times it is best to start as a helper first then move up. you learn what is needed and expected before being really responsible for anything.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.