Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

72 miller big 40 won't start

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 72 miller big 40 won't start

I just traded for a 72 big 40. Guy said it was running last August was the last time it was started. It will crank and run a second with starting fluid but acts like its gettin no fuel. The valve under the bowl is open, has a new filter, and fuel comin through line. Could this be a carburetor issue or if the plunger is bad would that cause it? I've never had a big 40 only Lincoln's and a couple Miller bobcats so I'm in the dark on fixing this one

If it's been sitting that long the whole fuel system is going to need cleaning out. Gasoline goes bad if left like that. Drain the lines, and tank. Clean and rebuild the carburetor and clean or replace the fuel pump. Put new gasoline in it and it may start and run on the first try. Your test with the starting fluid proves that the ignition is at least good enough for the engine to run if it had fuel getting to it, so work on the fuel system.

Charley

Comment

Thank ya sir!

Comment

seafoam

If its been sitting awhile a dose of seafoam will clean her out. It is great stuff,worked wonders on my welder that was gummed up. Just by coincidence it also was a big 40.

Comment

Working...
        X
        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.