Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mig welding is proving to be a bit tricky for me never welding before.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elvis View Post
    When people are learning around me I always stress comfort, comfort, comfort! You have plenty of time to weld in weird, contorted ways. Get good at welding in a comfortable position. I've been using up the rest of some HTP er70s6 that came with my 251. It seems fine. A lot of people seem to like L-56 from lincoln. you could buy a couple small 2# spools and see what works best then start buying it in 10# spools.

The settings on the panel of the machine are usually a good starting point. I've got one of those MIG sliding calculators from Miller and it seems to work great. But my machine will tell me actual welding volts and WFS with relative accuracy. I don't have the mystery knobs that you do. I have used the 175's with mystery knobs and after a day or two I didn't even read the chart. I would adjust and go and was usually in the ballpark making only minor adjustments. That will come with time!
    Ya your right it might be best for me to purchase the smaller spools to start. I am so knew I cant even say what i like or dont like. I think the millermatic came with the .30 and .35 electode or whatever its called. So i need to get some different sizes. Do you think it would be better to get some smaller diamiter wire, and another roller for inside the machine i think its only the 30 on one side and .0035 other side. I know I am saying the number wrong 30 thousands and 35. So maybe I should also get the wheel for inside for some smaller wire and some tips and some different wires. What about the flux core? I know i would have to kinda weld outside cuase of the extra fumes and right now its to cold but for the spring? And I will do that when the weather warms.

I guess i just need to start using what i have trying the other size the machine is able for as well and start getting a feel for them two sizes ETC ETC.

I really appreciate it! Like I said I would have felt defeated withot these forums.

I need to get alot of consumables. And like one poster said not sure of the name but maybe I will just get a cheap harbor frieght stand its really diffacult the way i have it set up now. There is no comfert, I have to do so much stuff just to fire the machine up, I am sweating and out of breath by the time I start.
    Pat M

Comment

20cfm seems to be a bit much unless you are welding in the wind/outside etc. You dont want to have air blowing across your work area as it blows away the shielding gas. If you are outside, you can position your body and arms to act as a wind break. In my shop, I typically wear shorts in the summer and have my fans set to blow across my legs to keep me cool

Miller has a very reasonably priced set of instruction manuals for mig, tig, stick, around $35 or so. Definitely worth it.

If you were in Dallas, I'd tell you to come over and bring your helmet, gloves and a 12 pack, a case if you are a slow learner. I'm not a pro but I get by

are you using the reference chart to establish your baseline settings?

Post up some pics, everybody was new at some point and the pics will let the pros tell you what you are doing right and wrong
      Miller 350P
      Miller Econotig
      Milwaukee Dry saw
      Evolution Dry saw (for sale)
      Scotchman 350 cold saw
      7x12 bandsaw
      1910 ATW 14 x 72 lathe
      fridge full of adult beverages
      Sirius radio

www.snpequipment.com
      callouses and burns a plentysigpic

Comment

Your 211 should run .030 great. No need to try a different wire, especially on 1/8. Just keep practicing. My advice is to really keep an eye on your stick out. I made leaps of improvements after I got that down.

Comment

Originally posted by STRENGTH AND POWER View Post
          20cfm seems to be a bit much unless you are welding in the wind/outside etc. You dont want to have air blowing across your work area as it blows away the shielding gas. If you are outside, you can position your body and arms to act as a wind break. In my shop, I typically wear shorts in the summer and have my fans set to blow across my legs to keep me cool

Miller has a very reasonably priced set of instruction manuals for mig, tig, stick, around $35 or so. Definitely worth it.

If you were in Dallas, I'd tell you to come over and bring your helmet, gloves and a 12 pack, a case if you are a slow learner. I'm not a pro but I get by

are you using the reference chart to establish your baseline settings?

Post up some pics, everybody was new at some point and the pics will let the pros tell you what you are doing right and wrong
          Man I wish I was In Dallas, I would bring you a case of beer and wire even my own machine and metal, if i could get some instruction. But ya I was going right off the chart inside the machine except for the amount of gas. I used the 20 from some videos I watched on youtube. But I even turned it up a bit to like 22 or so. I was in a garage no wind at all. What is a good amount of gas with no breeze?

I will get some pics on my next welding session. I am going to make sure I am in a real comfertable position and get things set up alot better as far as comfert. Also I am going to grab one of them 1000 watt halogen light set ups so I can see better. What I am going to do is just take a piece of metal and just run beads across it. I will post them soon as I do. I need all the help I can get. I do have a nice welding book that I read its out in the truck right now with my miller manual I foget what its called but I bought it years back when I first signed up on millerweld.com. I was pondering getting into welding for several years before I decided to finally get a machine. It was a tad bit cold in the garage so I did adjust the wire speed down a little not much, and turned up the heat to the a little higher on the 6 and seemed that I was getting a nice sizzle sound from it.

My first attempts were so bad IT WAS ALL WRONG. I mean wow wrong. But I will get some pics up of my next practice.

I can't tell ya how much I appreciate all the help and input everyone has offered.

Thanks man,

Pat M
          Last edited by pmac; 01-15-2013, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cgotto6 View Post
            Your 211 should run .030 great. No need to try a different wire, especially on 1/8. Just keep practicing. My advice is to really keep an eye on your stick out. I made leaps of improvements after I got that down.

Roger that! I will keep running beads on the 1/8 metal not trying to actually weld anything together just try to get some control down. I was in such an uncomfertable position with my make shift table set up. It was way to low, I should have actually been sitting. This next session I will just run the beads on metal and upload the pics. I will run out the .030 hobart. Is that hobart wire good? If I wanted to get some more .030 and some .035 should I stay with the hobart wire that came with the Miller welder? Is there a better wire to go with, or is that good enough in your opinion. Cause I have no idea what a good brand of wire is good. But I will grab another 2 lb spool of both .030 and .035. I have a good bit of thicker metal. I had a really hard time seeing what I was doing. I am definitly going to grab the halogen light setup!

Thanks for responding.

I know I keep saying it. But man everyone has been so helpful on these boards.

Thanks again,

Its really been a huge help in everything I have done so far, even in the line of what welder would be good to get. Next thing I will be asking about is what Plasma cutter? I want a plasma cutter that I wont need to upgrade. I am going to get the best one I can within reason of course. I really like the multi volt stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by pmac View Post
              You know i planned on building a cart and table, but since I am having a hard time. I was telling my gf of 13 years I better just buy a cheap cart. So I think I am going to jump on that. Thing is I have a mm211 and a 125 cu ft tank will it hold the tank and all?
              Yes, a 125 will work nicely with that cart. It's as big as I want to have to move around.

Comment

Did you check your polarity connections per manual ???? Sold wire with shielding gas connect to positive [+] output terminal. Just thought I would mention, sometimes in a moment of passion to may miss things.
                Make sure you have a GOOD GROUND, try grounding directly on work piece

Comment

Originally posted by BD1 View Post
                  Did you check your polarity connections per manual ???? Sold wire with shielding gas connect to positive [+] output terminal. Just thought I would mention, sometimes in a moment of passion to may miss things.
                  Make sure you have a GOOD GROUND, try grounding directly on work piece
                  Ya I did take a look at that. It was right for sheilding gas, or for solid wire. And ya only way I had was to have the ground clamp right on the workpiece. I need a welding table BADLY!

TY

Pat M

It was just my bad welding being brand new and kinda nervous at first in a horrible bent over poisition. There isnt any other way to get the gas flow right other than the gauges and the knob on the gauges, besides opening the valve of course?

Comment

Buy the cart-

Get the Table up to a comfortable height

A piece of plywood on some sawhorses and a piece of sheet metal will do for now, you are not banging on the table.

Once you get everything comfortable then you'll improve to the point of being able to build a proper welding table and whatever else you need/want to build.

Right now you are trying to hammer a nail behind your back and wondering why the nail went in crooked
                    Ed Conley
                    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                    MM252
                    MM211
                    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                    TA185
                    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                    O/A set
                    SO 2020 Bender
                    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                      Buy the cart-

Get the Table up to a comfortable height

A piece of plywood on some sawhorses and a piece of sheet metal will do for now, you are not banging on the table.

Once you get everything comfortable then you'll improve to the point of being able to build a proper welding table and whatever else you need/want to build.

Right now you are trying to hammer a nail behind your back and wondering why the nail went in crooked
                      Sounds good, I have a nice sturdy set of metal saw horses and wood I just need to get a piece of sheetmetal. You should have seen how bad the setup was. I will get a cart asap it was so diffacult the position like i said i was practicly bent in half with my head down by my waist. And just everything was all out of place my pliers clamps everything it was just an ugly experience so I will take that advice. Not sure where to get the sheet metal. I guess they should have something that would work at one of the big box stores. I never had to really buy metal before. So finding out where to get it is still a little tough for me. But that sounds like a good way to go. I needed a higher table then the makeshift one i was trying to use.

I mean honestly with wood, i can make factory looking cuts on sheets of plywood etc, with a circular saw, jig saw, sawzall even. I figured I would at least be able to have a steady hand. So ya, I will just buy the cart and the halogen light setup.

Thanks Broccoli

Comment

One more consideration is to open the valve on the tank FULLY. Turn it until it stops. This may not be part of the problem but if valve is not backseated, fully opened, it may leak gas and empty your tank without you knowing. ONLY fuel gas is partially opened.

Comment

Originally posted by BD1 View Post
                          One more consideration is to open the valve on the tank FULLY. Turn it until it stops. This may not be part of the problem but if valve is not backseated, fully opened, it may leak gas and empty your tank without you knowing. ONLY fuel gas is partially opened.
                          I am pretty sure i did, but i may not have opened it all the way til it stops I will make sure next time i weld some, hopefully today or tomorrow.

TY!

Comment

Originally posted by pmac View Post
                            Sounds good, I have a nice sturdy set of metal saw horses and wood I just need to get a piece of sheetmetal. You should have seen how bad the setup was. I will get a cart asap it was so diffacult the position like i said i was practicly bent in half with my head down by my waist. And just everything was all out of place my pliers clamps everything it was just an ugly experience so I will take that advice. Not sure where to get the sheet metal. I guess they should have something that would work at one of the big box stores. I never had to really buy metal before. So finding out where to get it is still a little tough for me. But that sounds like a good way to go. I needed a higher table then the makeshift one i was trying to use.

I mean honestly with wood, i can make factory looking cuts on sheets of plywood etc, with a circular saw, jig saw, sawzall even. I figured I would at least be able to have a steady hand. So ya, I will just buy the cart and the halogen light setup.

Thanks Broccoli
                            psst you live in Pittsburgh

don't buy from the Box store- you'll get killed on price.
                            Ed Conley
                            http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                            MM252
                            MM211
                            Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                            TA185
                            Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                            O/A set
                            SO 2020 Bender
                            You can call me Bacchus

Comment

If you are looking for sheet metal, drag out your Yellow Pages and call up a couple of heating and air shops near you to find one that brake up their own ductwork. They'll be able to cut and form a suitable top for you cheaply. When I was installing my bench tops I had 10 ft. sections formed to fit the top.
                              Attached Files
                              Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
                              Miller DialArc 250
                              Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
                              Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
                              Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
                              Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
                              South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
                              Logan 7" shaper
                              Ellis 3000 band saw
                              Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
                              Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
                              3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
                              Lots of dust bunnies
                              Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoRoy View Post
                                If you are looking for sheet metal, drag out your Yellow Pages and call up a couple of heating and air shops near you to find one that brake up their own ductwork. They'll be able to cut and form a suitable top for you cheaply. When I was installing my bench tops I had 10 ft. sections formed to fit the top.

Ahhhh Cool! That looks good. Do you just have that formed around wood? Would be able to put the ground clamp on that and then clamp my work piece down to the metal?

That would be much cheaper and I have lots of wood. That looks like it would work great til I can weld good enough to make a full welding table. all out of steel.

There was a guy on craigslist selling them I think they are called Little Giant carts for 85 bucks. They have like a 5000Lb capacity. I was going to get one or two cause they seemed cheap enough and pretty sure they sell for around 350-400 bucks they are in great shape. I was figuring I could just add a spot to the back of one to hold the tank. And just use that for my welder it has two shelves. I will see if he still has them listed. They looked in really good shape. They were blue even to match the Miller welder.

Here is the ad, if you were me would you get one or two of these. I figure if i was going to get two of them I would offer him 150.00 or 160.00

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bfs/3528426454.html
                                Last edited by pmac; 01-15-2013, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X