Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hole punching machines.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hole punching machines.

Hi, I'm struggling to find a machine/press to punch 25mm/1 inch holes at 8 inch intervals. The steel is 50mm box steel for power racks. I've been drilling them by hand but its very time consuming.
    Attached Files

Get a drill press, Punching will only crush the tube unless you have some very special machinery, The average iron worker cannot punch tube.

Comment

Hole saw and a drill press...Bob

Comment

High speed milling bit and machine works great too.

Comment

hougen roto broach

If the tube wall thickness is 3/8" (10mm) or less, the Hougen 1" roto broach on mandrel, SLOWest SPEED WITH CUTTING OIL in drill press ( as sold in their electrician's kit) will be faster, more accurate and outlast a twist drill or hole saw--every time. You can buy the mandrel and the cutter separately from distributors.

These are the shallow depth roto broaches--not the full size, mag drill broaches.
          I've used hougen cutters extensively for 22 years.
          The reason some pro shops don't use them is, of course, that they're too cost effective.

Comment

Use a mag drill. And jig it up.

Comment

Guys thanks very much, I'm going to use every method I can afford! Thank you again.

Comment

this is all you need

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYLhQ2XWfX8

Comment

i would love to see a video of how that death trap works

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.