Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

miller 175 keeps burnig wide open on its own

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• miller 175 keeps burnig wide open on its own

first i new to this site so im gonna say what up.

now for the problem. i have a miller 175 that has a tendacy to just decide to turn the voltage wide open when it wants to at times. usually when im welding something thin like body panels and stuff. when i weld something thicker i cant really tell the difference but it does do it at times. i am wondering if it is the voltage rheostat on the machine thats shorting out. im kinda curious if this is a common problem or if someone else had this same problem. i would say the machine is about 10 years old.

miller 175 keeps burnig wide open on its own

I have a Miller tig welder that had the same problem. It turned out that a relay inside was worn out. Actually the points on the relay would stick closed because they were arcing. I was able to take the relay apart, sand the points and get it working again. Eventually the relay had to be replaced.

Comment

The voltage control pot on the Millermatic 175 is a 50K ohm, I would definately start there for t-shooting it.

Comment

Working...
      X
      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.