Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutting and welding Dexter torsion axle?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting and welding Dexter torsion axle?

I just baught a dexter 3500# torsion axle from a friend. I want to use it for a smoker trailer, but the axle is too long. Can i cut and shorten the axle? I did read a few articles saying the rubber does not run the whole length of the axle, just from each end in a few feet. This axle is made for a 80" frame. The smoker tank is 30" wide and I want to keep the tank close as possible to center. So at 60" I would have 15" on each side from smoker tank to side of trailer. This way I can reach the doors. I dont even know is I can take 20" out of the axle.? any help is appreciated. Thanks, Joe

I never cut that type of axle although I was at a scrap yard and saw an axle that was cut on the one end and the rubber was hanging out about 10 inches. It had caught my eye because I never seen that type of axle before. Good luck.

Comment

Having never cut one of these apart myself I would proceed like this. Mark out where you want to cut. I'm assuming you want to take a section out of the center? Drill a hole where your cut line is & see/probe if there is anything there. If not cut away. If there is then just plug weld the hole & sell it off.

If you do cut it, I would put an internal sleeve at the joint for strength. Just remember that trailer axles are usually cambered slightly.

Comment

I've done what you are wanting. Except I made mine wider. The rubber only extents 12" -16" into the square tube. I cut at the center. Grew the width and reinforced the tube. Make sure that you weld in sections to keep the heat at a minimum. And away from the torsion rubbers.

Comment

Working...
        X
        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.