Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on Diversion 180

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on Diversion 180

Looking at getting one of these machines. I just wanted to see what those of you that have one think about it. Anybody upgrade the torch or work lead? I see its rated for 3/16" but is 1/4" possible? I know on my Passport it was rated 3/8" but felt it ran pretty hot on 3/8" & half inch has never been a problem with it. Didnt know if the Diversion 180 is underrated? Any info will be awesome as Im hoping to get this very soon.

I would add a few hundred and go for the 200 syncro.

Comment

Already have one out at the farm. Like the versatility of the 110 or 220. Really just wanted some opinions on the Diversion 180. Thanks for reply though.

Comment

I mostly work on 1/8 aluminum but wish I had the syncro instead.

Comment

I wish I would have waited, learned more and saved more. Would like to have a dynasty 200 dx.

Comment

The Diversion delivers on all it promises. If you are new to TIG it will get you started with everything pre-set except the amperage. As you get a handle on the process you may find that you would like to be able to adjust some of the other parameters and be able to pulse.

If you have used a full function machine and know that you won't miss that adjust-ability the Diversion is great.

there are fully adjustable TIG machines in the same price range as the Diversion available form Thermal Arc, Everlast, and others.

For what it is the Diversion is great. If it is what you want and need it will be a good machine for you.

Comment

So is there a dc- & dc+ to choose from or is it always dc- or ac? Also I was wondering about the front panel. Is that just like a chart on a mig welder to use for reference on what to set the welder at? I dont have a very good pic of the machine & haven't seen one in person. Only access to the internet is my phone. If someone has a good clean pic of the front could they post it please.

Comment

Originally posted by J C View Post
                So is there a dc- & dc+ to choose from or is it always dc- or ac? Also I was wondering about the front panel. Is that just like a chart on a mig welder to use for reference on what to set the welder at? I dont have a very good pic of the machine & haven't seen one in person. Only access to the internet is my phone. If someone has a good clean pic of the front could they post it please.
                The Diversion is only DC- and AC. As far as a panel chart, the front panel is self explanatory and straight forward, so a chart would be redundant.

Duty cycle is limited, but with the addition of helium to your cover gas, you could weld 1/4".

If you have not had a look at the manual, do so. It shows how easy to setup.
                Go to section 5(operation), page 20.
                http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o246522g_mil.pdf

Comment

Thanks for the info shovelon. I was asking if the front panel is a chart. Dont need a chart just curious what was on the front

Comment

Why would you want DC+?

Comment

Just wondered. The Lincoln 175 we have at work has it & you have to turn it manually to your selection & if this Diversion welds anything like that Lincoln 175 we have I will say it will be a nice addition

Comment

The Diversion 165 has material thickness for steel and aluminum as secondary scales to the amperage. The 180 has a chart for steel and aluminum thickness and amperage. With either machine you can select an amperage for the material type and thickness just by looking at the front of the machine and setting your amperage.

Comment

This is a tig only welder. I was under the impression that the Lincoln 175 was tig and stick. I can see the use for DC+ , with a tig and stick welder

Comment

The Diversion is purely entry level, and brilliantly done. Like the transformer tigs of old, your choices are very limited, and for good reason. Kind of like a tig welder on training wheels. Professionals would call them boring. I am quite fascinated by them myself. Of course I would killify it straight forward(under warranty of course).

If you are proficient in tig welding I would not recommend a Diversion. The Dynastys are pretty amazing in the hands of someone who knows how to use it.

Comment

You can stick weld with the Lincoln 175. But with the Diversion 180 you can use 110 or 220 but you cant stick weld with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.