Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

miller 252

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• miller 252

I currently work in a production shop primarily working with .25-.50 mild steel. Our shop has a millermatic 252. I'm having trouble with the machine constantly blowing back the wire into the tip when I strike an arc. The other issue I'm having is the wire not feeding smoothly while I'm welding. I can feel the wire in the lead rubbing and catching. I've replaced the liner and still had the same results. It's annoying when welding pipe and my welds have to pass pressure and dye tests and in constantly having to stop because the welder is having issues. Does anyone know what the problem is? I don't think the welder can handle the load but my bosses ( who aren't Welders) won't listen to me.

Check the wire tension.

You can also adjust the run in speed.

Comment

miller 252

Yeah I've tried that. I've gone over just about ever component on the machine with nothing seeming to help.

Comment

What kind of wire are you running? Have you tried the next size larger tip? Have you inspected the liner & made sure there are no burrs on either end? Keeping gun as straight as reasonbly possible?

Comment

Sounds more like you don't have the tip recessed back INTO the nozzle 1/8"

Comment

miller 252

Does it act up when 1st start welding? And does it get worse longer u weld.
            Last year I started welding thicker steel with the 252 had same problem. LWS thought I was pushing Michine to limit but more so the cable & gun. I think that came with 150 or 200 amp gun, not sure. I was considering up grading anyway, so I bought the 350-P and it came with larger gun. Awesome Michine, can run it all day 200 amps or more and smooth as silk :-)
            May try upgrading complete gun & cable to larger size. Also if they wont spring for a new gun assembly may try replacing liner with one size over your wire, I've done that before.
            Hope it helps. Just a thought.

Comment

Had a similar problem lately running .035 wire in 2 of my welders. I had been running .045 for quite some time, but switched back to .035 due to different jobs coming into the shop. Welder would do the same thing. Turns out I was running .045-.068 liners and the wire would zig zag inside the liner. Swapped in a new liner, and the same thing. Swapped to a Miller branded liner for .035 and no problems since.

Comment

miller 252

Yeah I've checked the liner ad replaced it to make sure it is the correct size. I'm running 35 wire an using the original gun. I've replaced it with a tweco and the roughneck and still have the same issue of blow back when starting a weld. I think it can't handle the amount of work. When welding flanges on 14 inch pipe I get halfway around and it really starts to sputter and spit the wire out causin me to have to stop. My tip is recessed back where it needs to be and I've also gone up a size. Nothing works. It's almost 3 years old and acted like this from day one. At this point I'm going to try and put together a case for buying a new welder. My bosses aren Welders and rarely listen to me because I lack a college degree. Anyone have any pointers or info to back me up in my case I take to the bosses?

Comment

miller 252

No matter how good or bad a welder is he can't put out quality work with out proper equipment working as it was designed.
                  Quality should be 1st priority, but they realy need to consider all your down time stoping, fixing your work let alone time working on welder. A new or properly repaired welder will shortly pay for it's self with you welding all day instead of repairing.

Comment

I am having the same burn back issues and am suspecting a bad ground clamp.

Comment

miller 252

I changed the ground because the original one would become way too hot. Hot enough to burn a hole in my pants. It didn't help.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.