Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welder Generator

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Welder Generator

    Hello

    Let me start by saying that I know almost nothing about welders/welding. I was asked by company to pick up a welder for our maintenance guy. We are a small oil distribution company and have a fleet of trucks to maintain. After some research and a few phone call, I picked up the Millermatic 252 200/230V.

    I am having trouble finding a generator for this machine. Everything i find is for 240V and I was told this would not work with my machine. I have a budget of $1000 allocated for the generator. I would appreciate any suggestions the community has to offer.

    Thanks

  • #2
    Welder Generator

    You won't find new at that price. Engine drive welder would have been a better choice.

    Comment


    • #3
      Maybe you should have asked your maintenance guy cause the 252 won't work on properly on a Generator, and you'd ned a pretty large one to run it even if it did.

      Complete waste of money.

      A engine driven welder would have been a much better choice. Perhaps a Bobcat for around the yard maintainance.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for the responses. I have not used this Welder yet, so i am going to get the 252 returned.

        Any suggestions on a welder for some minor truck repairs? I need something that is going to be able to be run on a generator with similiar capabilities to the 252.

        Thanks again

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by phayne View Post
          Hello

          Let me start by saying that I know almost nothing about welders/welding. I was asked by company to pick up a welder for our maintenance guy. We are a small oil distribution company and have a fleet of trucks to maintain. After some research and a few phone call, I picked up the Millermatic 252 200/230V.

          I am having trouble finding a generator for this machine. Everything i find is for 240V and I was told this would not work with my machine. I have a budget of $1000 allocated for the generator. I would appreciate any suggestions the community has to offer.

          Thanks
          The 230v will work on 240v- pretty much the same

          Look in the manual for where the tap should be for 230v- I believe the machine comes with it set up for 230v.

          Now that that is cleared up - as others have mentioned it is not a Voltage question/problem you have it is a generator SIZE/wattage problem.

          Big enough generator will run the MM252 but one big enough is going to some $$

          You need a 12,000 watt continuous rated generator that provides clean power.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by phayne View Post
            Thanks for the responses. I have not used this Welder yet, so i am going to get the 252 returned.

            Any suggestions on a welder for some minor truck repairs? I need something that is going to be able to be run on a generator with similiar capabilities to the 252.

            Thanks again
            Why does it need to run off a generator? Are you planning on doing field repairs on the trucks?

            What type of Minor repairs are you talking about?

            What type of trucks?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
              Why does it need to run off a generator? Are you planning on doing field repairs on the trucks?

              What type of Minor repairs are you talking about?

              What type of trucks?
              1. We will occaisonally have to do repairs in our lot, where i won't have access to a wall outlet.

              2. Most of the repairs that will need the welder will be to our liftgates, exhaust sytems, pump racks and other miscellaneous items.

              3. The trucks are a mix of box trucks and tanker trucks. The box trucks all have pump racks built into them, that need reinforcing from time to time.

              Comment


              • #8
                Need something like a Miller Bobcat and a VS wire feeder. All round light fab setup. Good for maintenance and repair applications. good for doing outside applications.

                Inside a shop I'd go for a Lincoln 350MP. OR a miller XMT 350 and S70 feeder

                Comment


                • #9
                  Why don't you get a heavy extension cord for the 252? I don't know how big your lot your referring to is. Does the welder need to be a mig?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by phayne View Post
                    Hello

                    Let me start by saying that I know almost nothing about welders/welding. I was asked by company to pick up a welder for our maintenance guy. We are a small oil distribution company and have a fleet of trucks to maintain. After some research and a few phone call, I picked up the Millermatic 252 200/230V.

                    I am having trouble finding a generator for this machine. Everything i find is for 240V and I was told this would not work with my machine. I have a budget of $1000 allocated for the generator. I would appreciate any suggestions the community has to offer.

                    Thanks
                    While doing your "Research" did you ever ask your maintenance guy what his recommendations for a welder would be? Since he will be the primary user, it would have made sense to get his opinion about this. But an engine drive is definately what will be needed in this instance, instead of a strictly electric rig. The Bobcat 225 or 250 are good suggestions along with the wire feeder if MIG is needed too. The stick capabilities of the Bobcat will probably fill most of your needs to repair the trucks W/O the wire feeder though. You will also most likely need a truck or trailer dedicated to haul the welding rig around along with all the necessary tools to go along with it.
                    During your research it would also have been a ggod idea to come on here to ask opinions about this before purchasing the 252, but since it hasn't been used yet then no foul on returning it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      ^^^^^^^
                      What he said.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Welder Generator

                        Take back the 252 and get a MM200 and a $1200 gen. $3000 done
                        Just my .02 on that budget
                        Or as cruizer stated 250 Bobcat and VS Wire feeder @ $5400 + another $1000 for cart and lead
                        Welding is not cheap, to do it right!!!
                        Kevin

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Two more options to consider for a lower cost, that may still fit your needs is the Blue Star 185 or the WildCat 200 both from Miller. A little lower cost than the BobCat but still fairly capable little welders.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I' suggest hiring a welder to help you make a decision. Probably cost you an hour. Actually maybe y'all should just hire the welder when you have something needs fixing.:-)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              miller renegage

                              Miller until recently made an 13hp 150 amp welder generator which had a built in mig gun woild work perfect, unit was called the miller renegage. Or get a bobcat 225 or lincoln ranger, with a spoolgun, or vs feeder.
                              Kevin

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.