Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first weld

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first weld

After about five min practicing, here it is. My first weld on a joint with my miller 140 mig.

Gas or flux core ?

Hi, your weld looks great. I like that you tacked first. I am getting ready to buy my first wire feed welder. I am trying to learn the benefits of gas versus flux core wire. Which process was this, gas or flux, Also was it using a machine with 110 v or 220 v ? Keep up the good work ! Darren...

Comment

This was done with a 110v. Also gas 75 Aragon and 25 co2. I did some 90 degree welds toDay. I will post pics when I get home.

Comment

Thanks, give as much info as you can about pic's, that helps answer questions. I look forward to seeing more!

Comment

These were my first 90 degree welds I tried. I tried circular weld as opposed to the weave.

Comment

Originally posted by fadetoblack188 View Post
            These were my first 90 degree welds I tried. I tried circular weld as opposed to the weave.

I see u got the heat going for ya

Comment

Haha what you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by fadetoblack188 View Post
                Haha what you mean?
                He's referring to the discoloration of the metal in the heat affected zone(HAZ). In case you don't know, the heat is what caused the color to change in the metal.

Comment

oooooo thanks

Comment

If that black line on top of the weld in the top picture is a shadow then you are undercutting (going a little slow, angle to much toward the vertical piece, or running too hot).

The center picture looks like the weld is not wetting out, or tying into the base material on the toes. This may be from not keeping the wire in the puddle, making your circles too big or not running hot enough.

The bottom one looks the best but I see a couple spots where the weld is stacking up and over lapping like the center picture.

You are definitely on the right track. Looks great for just a couple days practice.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.